Thread: Social anxiety - what works ?

Social anxiety - what works ?

Hellooooo
    I have a social anxiety which got recently worst again because of my new job and the way I'm treated by my boss, I want to leave the job, it's killing me but I feel trapped because of this bloody recession.
    I have tried hypnosis, self help tapes and I have recently tried CBT therapy but it was all just money out of window....The words can't even describe how sick, fed up and tired I am of this social anxiety.
    I have never tried any medication , I'm worried I would loose myself , become someone else or finish like a vegetable
    What works for you guys ? Is there a light at the end of the tunnel ?
    Keggit

Re: Social anxiety - what works ?

Quote Originally Posted by Keggit View Post
    Hellooooo
    I have a social anxiety which got recently worst again because of my new job and the way I'm treated by my boss, I want to leave the job, it's killing me but I feel trapped because of this bloody recession.
    I have tried hypnosis, self help tapes and I have recently tried CBT therapy but it was all just money out of window....The words can't even describe how sick, fed up and tired I am of this social anxiety.
    I have never tried any medication , I'm worried I would loose myself , become someone else or finish like a vegetable
    What works for you guys ? Is there a light at the end of the tunnel ?
    Keggit
    Hi, Keggit!

I don't know if what I have is social anxiety persay...I just know I feel overwhelmed when I'm anywhere else but home (my safety place).

I'm very uncomfortable around a lot of people but it's not because I'm worried about what they think of me or anything (at least I don't think so) I think it's because I get panicky when there's too much movement and noise. It's hard for me to nail down.

Anyway, I'm finding that valium helps me relax. I tried it the other day when I had to go to the dr's office. I don't even take a full pill...just half cause one of my phobias is taking meds that'll make me feel more loopy than what I do already lol.

You might want to discuss your med options with your dr

Take care,

Lacey

Hey Keggit,

I was (and still am) in the same situation as you. I have an awful boss who doesn't care, I feel claustrophobic at work and really want to change jobs asap. A while ago after months of anxiety I got to the point where I couldn't cope and one day walked straight to the dr's before I got to the bus stop. I'm now on fluoxetine which is the last thing I wanted- I feel uncomfortable taking mind altering drugs to say the least. But they've made things so much easier for me, and I highly recommend you have a word with your Dr. You don't have to live this way, your life can be so much better.

Remember your good friends too. I have three very good friends in particular at the moment who I couldn't live without. They are a major support to me.

All the best
    Graz

There is light at the end of the tunnel.. this you must believe. As difficult as it may be try and keep a positive attitude and try to deal with one problem at a time rather than looking at the whole picture of your life and what you feel is wrong with it.

Seems to me your main problem is work.. this is your main enviroment and is not helping and only hindering you. I would suggest you either talk to your boss about how you feel you are being treated or.. if that is impossible I would continue to do my best and plod on whilst looking for alternative employment. There are online Job search sites where you can look up particular jobs and upload your cv for jobs in your area..which will make finding something a little easier for you. Don't put up with something that is not positive for you, you can take steps and try to do something about it... Good luck!.. and keep us posted.

There are definitely alternatives to medication. I am on a lot of meds right now and I found that they really took a lot of my enjoyment of things away. (everyone is different however so don't take my word for it) I do meditation every day and have a meditation coach who is trained to help with anxiety disorders--he is a godsend, I am getting better and better each week as I learn to control my thoughts (which is half the battle with anxiety yah?). It's made it easier to interact with people and to form friendships, and it makes me feel much more capable of controlling my anxiety waves. And yes, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel, no matter how dark and deep it may seem!

Thread Information