Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What does diazepam feel like?

What does diazepam feel like?

Hi! i've had a pretty rough couple of weeks which doesn't help but the main problem is that my family have a holiday booked to portugal this sunday coming (22nd may).
    Since the holiday was booked sometime last year, i've never really thought about it as it's always been something too far in the future. However, its pretty soon now and doc is giving me diazepam.
    I know for a fact i wouldn't be able to go without the diazepam - but maybe the diazepam will help? I don't know as i've never tried it before. I'm gonna try and take it on wednesday for a test to see how it makes me feel but i'm very scared about taking it.
    How does it make you feel? Because smoking weed is a big no no for me as it freaks me out so much, and i've seen someone compare it to being stoned. I don't want the spaced out feeling as that also panics me.
    I have seen a lot of people say its helped them which makes me feel a bit better, but i don't want to take it and feel 'spaced out' even if that is calming, because then i will worry and panic that it's in my system and i can't get it out etc etc.
    I could go into more detail about the holiday/flight etc. but i'll stick to the main problem for now!
    Sorry this was longer than i intended. Thanks very much for any help !

Re: What does diazepam feel like?

Hi, i was given diazepam 2 years ago, and i took it cos i was going away for weekend on my own, so took it before went on train, it worked straight away,
    I didn't get side affects, mine was liquid and iit did make me feel different inside, i felt no nervousness at all,
    This is a wonder drug for me, i m not allowed to take it every day, so i take it when i need it,
    The second time i took it ( the second perscription,) it makes my eyes feel blurry but that a normal side affect, doesnt happen all time,
    Now it kicks in after 30 mins, as mine in a bottle the less there is the less effective it gets, mainly cos it been opened for months.

I always take mine before a gig when i was fit enough to work, ( i miss going to gigs) i had no anxiety, met bands without shaking of nervouseness, didnt really have a care in the world,

Hope you get on with it ok :-)

Hi, I had it for a week last year when my anxiety was at its worst. I had 5mg of Diaz and it helped to calm me down, take the edge off the fear and stop my body reacting i.e. less shaky and a calmer heart rate. This was a temporary measure and then I took beta blockers for a couple of months. I would not say it feels like being stoned, just calmer. I had no side effects.
    Last edited by Hazel B; 18-05-11 at 20:27. Reason: spelling

Thanks clareblue! i miss going to gigs too! :(
    Thanks Hazel b, i think i am gonna try take it. i'll do a test with it and see how i feel first. fingers crossed!

Hi. Diazepam is a very gentle and effective drug. It has been an absolute Godsend for me. It takes 30 minutes to take effect so you need to take it about an hour before the event you're worried about, and the effects last for a couple of hours, maybe three. If you haven't used it before I would recommend trying it before you need it so you know what to expect when you do need it. You won't need very much, 1 or 2mg is enough to calm me down from a severe panic attack, and 5mg is enough to get me into a Dentist's chair and I have severe Dental phobia! I doubt you will feel spaced out if you only take that much, and even if you do you won't care or be anxious about it because the Diazepam will be working it's magic.

I have diazepam for really bad panic attacks and just one tablet works wonders....my Dr won't give me too many, just a few for emergencies, but it saves me phoning emergency numbers with anxiety induced chest pains! I have had no bad effects. Good luck

When I'm having a panic attack and I take a diazepam it just makes me feel "normal" again. It take about 10-15 mins to start working.

Haz.x

thanks everyone for the replies! really appreciated.
    i'm trying to work up the courage to take one tonight to test it out. it's just reading the side effects on the leaflet that get to me. but to be honest it took me about a month to take the anti depressants i was very first given for anxiety and they helped a lot so i think i'll just have to go for it. hopefully i'll take it tonight

Patient Information Leaflets for medication are REALLY extensive these days. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, well it is if you have HA and can be scary for most people to read. I think drug manufacturers have to cover their backs these days to cover every possible eventuality at the risk of being sued.

I blame the Americans. Only joking!!

If you take it regularly it has its downsides, but for very occasional use it's perfect

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information