Thread: Citalopram and alcohol....?

Citalopram and alcohol....?

Hi. Have just taken my first pill, was wonering if anyone had any advice on taking it with alcohol? As a 20yr old student working in a nightclub I'm worried I'll have to quit drinking altogether which would really affect my social life!

Thanks!

Re: Citalopram and alcohol....?

Hi I drink and take citalopram .....but I would advise not 2 drink 2 much ..the thing is when you drink with it it cancells out the tablet meaning that you wont get the help needed from the tablet ... meaning you can suffer anxiety the next day .Do you drink alot or will it be occasional drink ?

Titchjd

I am always looking outside myself for strength and confidence ,but it comes from within .It's there all the time x

Quote Originally Posted by titchjd View Post
    Hi I drink and take citalopram .....but I would advise not 2 drink 2 much ..the thing is when you drink with it it cancells out the tablet meaning that you wont get the help needed from the tablet ... meaning you can suffer anxiety the next day .Do you drink alot or will it be occasional drink ?

Titchjd
    Thanks Titchjd.
    As I'm only on my 2nd pill, I'm going to try and not drink for a couple of weeks (God, it may even do me some good!) as I think there's no point in risking these tablets not working just so that I can drink.
    Even though going to the pub is part of my social life and my life with friends/boyfriend I'm sure people will understand, and I think I'm just going to say that I'm on antibiotics!
    Wish me luck!

Am just starting on these as well so really glad for the advice. am going on an all inclusive holiday soon, so not sure what would be worse - panic attacks or no drink

I would advise not to drink whilst on meds, 2 weeks into me first starting on these meds i got drunk and was sick and really really poorly. I now only have the odd glass of wine and loads of soda x

hi there..ive been on citralopram for about 7 weeks and ahd a few drinks last night for first time..i was fine today except feeling a little tired..but if you go out and get really drunk and get a hangover the next day that could make your anxieety worse.try it and se it it agrees with u xx

yeah i would give alcohol a break. i've been on citalopram for three weeks. after two weeks, i had a glass and a half of wine over the course of an evening and found myself really drunk (whereas prior to citalopram, i could drink a glass and a half of wine over an evening and feel nothing). i think it's best to let your body get used to the medication before adding any outside factors like alcohol.

Hi

I didnt have any when I first started taking Citalopram -- been on them for just over eight weeks now - had few bottles of beer on friday evening - but wish I didnt - wasnt to bad on Saturday but feeling the alcohol can cancel out the drugs - whats the point -

I work in an Industry that involves a lot of drinking - I just ignore it now - try and give it a wide berth - people soon get used to you not drinking-

Good luck

Thread Information