Thread: Don't Fight The Panic

Don't Fight The Panic

I have had panic attacks over a year now. I can prevent them completely, unlike many. This is because I only get them in my car. And only with me being the driver.

Yet, I have read a number of books on panic and anxiety. Most of them address only agoraphobia. I do not have that. I can go anywhere, fly a plane half way around the globe. No panic.

So I have panic attacks and I can do something. I know the routes I drive inside out. So I only drive stretches of freeway where there is a place to get off and get to work some other route. Outside of town I can pull off the freeway and stop on the shoulder for a bit. If the police come by I will say that I am having a migraine and just took the pill. Panic might make them panic!

But back to the general problem, yours too. The newest approach, after cognitive therapy, is to not fight the panic. You have had dozens of these, maybe hundreds. So you know you usually do not faint, and you never have died of it. Find a chair, a bench. Use a cell phone to talk to somebody. Just spend ten minutes doing nothing.

You have anxiety and will for the rest of your life. Don't make anxiety be your life, there is more of you.

This is not the same as ignore or fight it or be embarrassed. It is still there. Just go with it. It is there but it is not all of you.

Take care.

---------- Post added at 14:43 ---------- Previous post was at 14:33 ----------

This is the book I just started, but many many more follow the same. It is 15 dollars on amazon US
    The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety: A Guide to Breaking Free from Anxiety, Phobias, and Worry Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy [Paperback]
    John P. Forsyth (Author), Georg H. Eifert (Author)

---------- Post added at 15:14 ---------- Previous post was at 14:43 ----------

This is a book on Amaxon UK. I did not like it all that much for me (red 2/3 of the Kindle book), as it had mostly self esteem and depression as an underlying theme. I don't have those. But it has the same don't fight approach to agoraphobia.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Embracing-Fe...ref=pd_sim_b_7

Re: Don't Fight The Panic

Probably the worst day of driving for me, 1 hour 15 minutes in the rain. I avoided the freeway, can't do it at all in the rain and dark, only in light rain. But I did not panic. Some 10-20 seconds of higher anxiety every now and then.

Much better driving in some light, though still one hour.

The point of the not fighting is not to belittle panic attacks. They are still terrifying. But since I don't know what day I will get them, no point worrying ahead of time.

Just checked out the book. I have never heard of ACT before just CBT. Looks interesting, will give it a try

i have tried so many times to not fight the panic but i just cant accept it :(

Hi Willitstop

Trying to not fight panic and accept it can easily turn into another subtle form of non-acceptance - because we end up 'desperately' trying to accept - or 'desperately' trying to not fight it.

This subtle desperation sends more signals to our body that something is not quite right - and the body tries to help with adrenaline which increases the symptoms.

Don't be hard on yourself for finding this difficult - It seems like an impossible puzzle - What you need is a complete understanding of how anxiety is caused and maintained - then you need to learn particular skills which will enable you to practice acceptance without this paradox occurring.

You can't learn these skills form a few comments on a forum - you need to follow a treatment plan - CBT is the best way forward.

Robin

CBT4Panic is now completely FREE and anyone can access the full programme here http://cbt4panic.org/

Right! No musts here. Non-Fight it every other time or whenever it feels like it.

Thread Information