Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pain under ribs

Pain under ribs

I've got this really annoying pain under ribs on both sides, although it's worse on the left hand side. It doesn't hurt all the time, but feels like someone has punched me when I lean certain ways. Any ideas what this could be?

Hi,

ive got an annoying ache under my left ribs as well, i do think anxiety can cause tension in this area. I also suffer from IBS and this is a common area of pain

anx

Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects

I have had a pain under my right ribs on and off for ages. I have discovered that antacids and drinking milk has helped in my case. I am guessing it is something to do with acid reflux, which can apparantely cause pain all over the place (I even have it in my back sometimes).

I also have pain under my ribs on both sides - really gets me down actually. I too have found that taking an antacid (Zantac) helps.
    Diane
    x

Sounds like you may also be suffering from fibromyalgia - a common syndrome among anxious types like us. I was diagnosed with this a few years back and it can cause numerous aches, pains and strange sensations all over the body.

I frequently have the rib pains you complain of and you may find that if you press on your ribs you will find some sore spots that are quite painful or have a feeling that you are bruised. This is sometimes due to costochondritis (sensitivity in the soft tiisue around and in between the ribs joints). Although it is not a degenerative condition it can be spasmodic and painful. Sometimes you may feel a burning sensation rather than actual pain, which is often hard to distinguish between the pain of acid reflux, as the others have mentioned, and costo. I have both conditions and often can not tell the difference.

Any doctor should be able to do a simple tender point examination to diagnose it (or not). Check it out on the internet 'fibromyalgia symptoms' .

I have sore spots to on my left side which makes me worry about heart.. but think that it must be tension or the way I slept.I have posted on here about another weird sensation of electrical feeling or water rusing feeling all over my right chest side and no one else has posted to me .I suppose maybe its something just unique to me.. But yours I think is tension..

PRAYER FOR FREEDOM FROM SUFFERING

May all beings everywhere plagued
    with sufferings of body and mind
    quickly be freed from their illnesses.
    May those frightened cease to be afraid,
    and may those bound be free.
    May the powerless find power,
    and may people think of befriending each other.
    May those who find themselves in trackless, fearful wilderness--
    the children, the aged, the unprotected--
    be guarded by beneficent celestials,
    and may they swiftly attain Buddhahood.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I have sore spots to on my left side which makes me worry about heart.. but think that it must be tension or the way I slept.I have posted on here about another weird sensation of electrical feeling or water rusing feeling all over my right chest side and no one else has posted to me .I suppose maybe its something just unique to me.. But yours I think is tension..

<div align="right">Originally posted by looking4answers - 18 December 2006 : 03:33:30</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

To looking 4 answers,
    Sounds like the electrical sensations are neurological. I have had such symptoms for years.
    I finally discovered the answer to my problem in my pill bottle. I wonder if you are taking any medication?
    I was taking xanax for sleep and never knew that I was in tolerance withdrawl daily. From not increasing my dosage. Withdrawl from benzodiazapines or symptoms just from taking them can mimic many illness's including MS which is what I thought I had, IBS, Fybromyalgia , Anxiety,etc etc.
    Even if you took a benzo for a short time and have not taken it for weeks you can suffer withdrawl symptoms from these drugs for a very long time. And symptoms can come and go.
    Ambien and Lunesta are also classified as short acting benzodiazapines.
    Two years after withdrawing from this drug I still have occaisional symptoms including the rib thing you describe. But recentlyI took a short course of Ambien. So I think thats my problem.

Deane

Re: Pain under ribs

Quote Originally Posted by looking4answers View Post
    I have sore spots to on my left side which makes me worry about heart.. but think that it must be tension or the way I slept.I have posted on here about another weird sensation of electrical feeling or water rusing feeling all over my right chest side and no one else has posted to me .I suppose maybe its something just unique to me.. But yours I think is tension..

I have had the water sensation under my ribs. I dont know what it is either but would like to know. Also have sensations of things popping in that area as well or at least it feels like something has just burst under the ribs!

Re: Pain under ribs

Hi i have been getting same sort of rib pain under left rib sometimes on the right, also back hurts and have warm sort of burning sensation feeling in chest.

did you manage to sort this?

jay

---------- Post added at 20:40 ---------- Previous post was at 20:38 ----------

hi did you manage to sort out your rib pain as i have been getting similar pain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information