Thread: Can anyone help

Can anyone help

I posted this on the general anxiety form but no one has replied
    Hello everyone.
    I am feeling pretty low at the moment, about 4 months ago I was put on IBS medication, as I was a week in pain, I couldnt eat, move I had backache and ended up in A+E after seeing 2 doctors and being prodded I was told i have ibs. But I am always thinking its something worse, I suffer with anxiety and health anxiety. My latest fear is appendicitis,or something else wrong with my tummy now I know the pain i was experiencing back then isnt to do with it, as it would come and go when i was put on meds, but i am always having a fear when i get bad belly pains.

Feburary 2010, last year, I had a full blood test done, as my anixety was so bad I lost alot of weight, and I wanted to make sure I was okay, the only thing that came back was that I had high white platelets, I had a repeat blood test a month later and it had lowerd, but still above average, but only slightly. I asked the doctor what I should do, she said it wasnt needed to have a repeat blood test as it could have been a cold I had.
    A year and a half later I am still worried about it.... but should I be?

I read a bunch of things on here thats made me very anxious when searching for high white cells. I read it could mean cancer and also appendicitis :( and now im so scared. I hate blood tests i panic when I even know i have to have one. I just dont know what to think, i have a feeling something is wrong with me and its driving me mad :(

Re: Can anyone help

Hi Miss Sunshine

It's horrible once a worry gets hold of you isn't it -and googling symptons always gives worst case scenario results.

I don't know much about white blood platelets but I think if it was appendicitis you get poorly very quickly and you would know by now, it wouldn't take a year.

If you are worried I would go back to your GP and ask for a repeat blood test to put your mind at rest. You could explain that you have had some symptons and just want to get it checked out. I would say that is a perfectly reasonable request.

Hope you are ok soon - keep us updated

Kinnygirl1 x

Hi Miss Sunshine

sorry to read you are feeling so low and worried ........and empathise.

I have not got IBS thank goodness [yet] ..........so cant really say much other than what I have learned here by reading posts ........and it sounds to me very typical indeed. sure someone will be along soon who can relate and reassure you.
    But as for cancer or appendicitis or anything similar Sunshine .......I will be your rational head and say absolutely not .Tell that thought to shove off now
    You would be very ill with acute symptoms by now with both conditions xx

last year you had white cell count a bit high ..........it does this with colds and flu and all sorts of minor things . your doc wasnt concerned and neither should you .............take the population and take blood samples and bet a high percentage would have raised readings . It really is nothing to be concerned about ...just an indicator that your body is doing its job of fighting off any viruses and bugs .

please dont worry ....easy to say I know ..........there are some fab posts about ibs here and you are not alone at all .
    dont let your mind spiral into major illness Sunshine .....not so .........tis the damn anxiety at work .........take care and tell those awful fears to go .

xxx

Thank you this is just the positively I needed! I was thinking about a repeat but I get so worked up about blood tests. It would set me back :(
    I am aways thinking I have the dreaded C word. As im always tired, I have no energy.
    But I know thats also a symptom of anxiety...
    I wil defiantly tell those thoughts to shove off!
    I will keep thinking that the blood test I had was a good sign my body was fighting off a cold or flu, I will try to keep my thoughts positive! be gone fears!
    Thank you both xx

good lass

actually the Shove off quote is the polite version I use for the forum
    my own words are not for here

the exhaustion and fatigue is so understandable too ....am wrestling with this myself at the moment .taking vitamin b and magnesium supplements and protein with every meal .
    keep positive and let us know how you are always xxxx

Oh I think I know what you mean

Its extremely annoying im 22 and I feel like a 70 year old on some days..
    I hope you beat the tiredness and those vitamins work for you soon!

Thank you again, and il update soon!

hello miss im sorry you are feeling so anxious.. ibs can be a horrible things and it can feel terrible.. your tummy can cause so many different kinds of pains nothing serious at all but it still hurts! i have had ibs and acid reflux and for years it made me miserable..i thought i was going to die! your doctors know what they are talking about and they would know for sure if it was cancer by looking at your blood.. your count was high that is a whole different symthom then having cancer.. your doctor is obviously not worried about this infact he dosent even want to test you again.. that is a good thing! im sure of it! i hope you feel better soon

When you want it
    It goes away too fast
    Times u hate it
    It always seems to last

Hello andyroo thank you for your kind words and support

Well guys I read last years diary when I had the blood tests to refresh my memory.
    And I got it wrong, I didn't have high white blood cells it was high platelets which are different.
    I marked down what I had, It was 480 platelets on the second blood test,(the first one was higher but second one read its gone down)
    I dread to google this so can someone do it for me? whats the normal count of platelets?
    how far off am I? the doctor did say slightly but id like to know.as im still worried even tho its a year later.....

x

Hi Miss Sunshine,

Sorry that you are feeling this way, I hope you are doing a bit better. I would definitely not google about it because there will be random hits of sites where there isn't going to be much medical advice (take it from me I am the google fiend) and it will just end up worrying you.

If you are worried about cancer and blood tests I think they wouldn't have let you go home after they gave you the results.

I remember last year googling it and a lot of things come up like clots and strokes!
    So im staying well away, I just need someone to help me and tell me what the average platelets are. Your right they didnt seem to worried.
    X

Thread Information