Thread: Road to recovery

Road to recovery

Hi everyone!

I just thought i'd fill you in on how im doing on my road to recovery! As you probably realise i havn't posted on here for a little while which im really proud of. Its been hard at times, and at times its been easier, but i don't think i would have realised how much i needed to sort my life out if it wasn't for this website, so i thankyou for that!

Basically i realised how much sadness i was causing for myself and my family, i just had to make things change! I knew it was time for me to move on and defeat anxiety once and for all! I thought to myself, 'I can do this, just ignore the symptoms and get on with life', and thats exactly what ive been doing. Although i still get the symptoms i don't feel as anxious about my health anymore, i could think to myself 'well if im not anxious why am i getting the symptoms?' but no they are all normal! (i hope). I still get anxious when talking to people, i feel my face go bright red and red hot, i am very self concious and don't have any confidence, but i think the health anxiety is my main priority at the moment.

I have worked out a way of getting through my anxiety, i block my thoughts in my head, as soon as i feel a bad thought coming on, ive learnt how to block it out and immediately do something that will eventually take my mind off things. I was going to result in starting to take medications, but i knew its not good to start taking meds at such a young age, i thought of my family and how much i love them, i want to stop making them miserable, and i want to start enjoying life again!

Here are some tips that have proven to be very helpful with me:

- As soon as i feel myself starting to worry about a symptom, i block it out, it sounds harder than it is.. but believe me, when you have done it once you will be able to do it all the time. It really does change the way you think from the first time you do it. Just think happy thoughts and occupy your mind immediately.

- Be around family and friends, this helps me alot!
    - Make sure your always smiling, although you might feel down, when people see you smiling it cheers them up, therefore it will cheer you up seeing other people happy!

- Get out and about, and treat yourself to things

I know these are probably only things that would help me, but i just wanted to share with everyone ways in which im on my road to recovery Its only early stages, and i will probably end up posting on No more panic about symptoms sooner or later, but there are bound to be bad days.... Come on everyone you can do this!! If i can you can!!

Sorry about the long post, lots of love x

Re: Road to recovery

Thats a GREAT post, its fantastic to read something so positive
    Whatever youre doing, keep doing it, well done!
    Paula x

Wow, I wish I was as strong as you. I've managed to have a couple of good days in the past week but I am really struggling today. I'm going to take on board your tips on getting past it to see if it can help me. Some daysI find that I just haven't got the energy or stamina to get me through a whole day. The worst thing about anxiety and all these horrible symptoms is that it's hard to see an end as it's not like a normal illness where you know that it'll be over in a few days.

I'm really happy for you, I don't know how you've managed to do it. It must've been so difficult. I hope I can beat it one day.

Duke honey - WELL DONE

Keep on going - yes there will be bumps in the road - but real life is all about managing the bumps along with the smooth bits !!!

I knew you had the strength xxxxxxxxxxx

good luck duke hope it goes well for you xxxx

Thank you for this post. It's nice to see somebody really succeeding in beating this, and read something positive and uplifting. I wonder if we should start a thread to post when we have positive experiences in fighting anxiety. It might be a good motivator. Is there one out there already?

Forgot to add - Congratulations and you are doing awesome!!!!

Thankyou everyone for your lovely replys! I am still finding it extremely hard but im glad its made you all feel better seeing something that can keep you motivated! I think it would be a great idea to start a thread about positive experiences with beating anxiety Good luck to you all! xx

Thread Information