Thread: referral to psychology/cbt knocked back

referral to psychology/cbt knocked back

Hi,
    Just wondered if anyone has had this experience, and if so, what did they do about it? I cried! Not v productive!
    My GP referred me back to the Psychiatrist this year after another bout of anxiety/depression. The Psychiatrist spoke to his team about referral to Psychology - they, (the swines), have said there is nothing they can do for me as I don't have a 'major' mental disorder. The Psychiatrist said something about they thought my problems were to do with 'life' and that there wasn't much they could do. Something like that, anyway. This didn't make me feel very good, as you might imagine! Now I feel that they all think I'm just not good at coping with life, and that I've been written off effectively. The Psychiatrist is now going to discuss it with them again.
    Any suggestions? I just want to feel better about this. Now I feel more inadequate than before, but not 'bad' enough to warrant getting any help. Trying not to be upset and angry about this but not doing a v good job.

Re: referral to psychology/cbt knocked back

I'd say keep asking for psychological help. I personally only have experiences of CBT, but even that is geared to learning better coping skills. Hope you get the help you deserve! x

psychological services are a bit of a pain heh!! I was told 'we don't do long term therapy'. I was 'discharged' after half a session of what was supposed to be cbt but what was 2 therapists grilling me...ouch.....they did say that I could go back 'when cbt was the right thing at the right time' for me....

i think if you are not a simple-ish case - i.e have some cbt and have a positive outcome or are completely unable to function at all, they are not interested. All of us that fall in the middle ground get left out.

IMO I'd either campaign to get what you want if you think it will help you, or get help privately. If your Psch is going to re-refer you then I'd think they have to listen. Personally getting 6 sessions of counselling wouldn't help me, and I don't think cbt would either if I'm totally honest, so perhaps they have apoint! I have a private psycho-therapist which whilst isn't cheap at least I have control over how long I need support for (been nearly 2 years now), and has been a life-saver for me. My gp was a bit dissappointed they weren't more helpful. She however is absolutely great and extremely supportive (helps that she used to be a psychiatrist) so I feel I have a good team!

Hope this helps you and good luck xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by zygfried View Post
    Hi,
    Just wondered if anyone has had this experience, and if so, what did they do about it? I cried! Not v productive!
    My GP referred me back to the Psychiatrist this year after another bout of anxiety/depression. The Psychiatrist spoke to his team about referral to Psychology - they, (the swines), have said there is nothing they can do for me as I don't have a 'major' mental disorder. The Psychiatrist said something about they thought my problems were to do with 'life' and that there wasn't much they could do. Something like that, anyway. This didn't make me feel very good, as you might imagine! Now I feel that they all think I'm just not good at coping with life, and that I've been written off effectively. The Psychiatrist is now going to discuss it with them again.
    Any suggestions? I just want to feel better about this. Now I feel more inadequate than before, but not 'bad' enough to warrant getting any help. Trying not to be upset and angry about this but not doing a v good job.
    That's awful, I'm so mad for you! It really bugs me that you have to fight to get the help you're entitled to. Have they offered you any sort of therapy or help (either from your GP or Psychiatrist? It may be worth you reading the NICE guidelines for your particular anxiety/depression. I work for the NHS and my Manager receives these through the post (you can read them online for free). I saw the anxiety one ages ago and it was useful to read what I am entitled to and what your GP should be offering you.

They can't just fob you off like this. Big hugs x

thanks guys for your support! All comments v helpful in different ways. Think Hyperyogi has hit the nail on the head - I do fall somewhere in the middle ground and, likewise, a few counselling sessions or simple cbt work probably wouldn't be the right thing for me anyway. It'd be nice to be offered it though! I do see a private psychotherapist on a very infrequent basis now because I can't afford more regular sessions at the moment. It is a very useful support for me but I get frustrated that it's not more focussed (just seems like me offloading..I'm not working on a particular problem, for example, just talking...) and sometimes think a defined structured programme of some psychological therapy would be beneficial as well. It's maddening that this isn't available via the NHS simply because I don't fit their criteria. The 'service' I get is patchy, to say the least. (Since I saw the psych. I'm thinking perhaps he could have phrased it better...probably not appropriate to say to someone like myself that it's 'life'!!) Will keep on searching, see what they say next, and check the NICE guidelines too. Thanks!! xxx

Hi,

I've had a similar problem, my mental health worker referred me for CBT earlier this year as he believed it would help with my anxiety. I went for my 1st session and discussed the issues I have - a big problem with social phobia and general anxiety on a daily basis. Got a phone call about a week later from the lady I saw and she said she didn't think I was a good candidate for CBT as my anxiety was too generalised! I have a friend who has suffered from anxiety in the past and she had CBT and it really helped her and am sure it would help me, I'll try anything at the moment. My situation is now a lot worse as I'm currently homeless and have been living in a bed and breakfast for the last 3 months which is making my anxiety far worse than it's ever been.
    My mental health worker and the lady I saw for CBT work in the same department and when I told my mental health worker what had happened with the CBT appointment he didn't really say much.
    Am just wondering if it's worth bringing it up again, my mental health worker is really good with me, don't think I'd still be here if it wasn't for him but not sure if he'll refer me again due to what happened last time.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,
    Could you ask if your mh worker could set you up with an appt with another CBTherapist? I think it's important that you 'click' with your therapist. Maybe it's a good thing she didn't try helping you for two months before admitting she wasn't up to the job of helping you. But that definitely shouldn't mean you're not able to be helped!!!!! Hopefully your worker will know someone who is better at dealing with more generalised problems.
    Good luck x

Hi, I'd just like to add my experience of mental health services. I tried for 26 years to get support on the nhs. When I lived in London I was refused time and time again. At one point I was "assessed" six times in 2 months, and still refused at the end of it... so by the time I was offered help (in Bucks) I was beyond redemption.. I was in group psychotherapy for 14 months, and it actually made me worse ( I should've had it 26 years ago!) I was sexually abused as a child, and have so much repressed emotion that sometimes I feel as though I'm going to go POP!!! I was made homeless too Cheryl, single parent etc... I think it's the "not knowing what's round the corner" that scares me the most.
    Due to government cuts there are going to be less and less mental health services, because they don't consider us a priority :( I'm just trying to deal with all my "stuff" in isolation, and it sometimes makes me feel so confused and lost.
    Anyone seen the Jack Nicholson film "As good as it gets"? I think maybe sometimes we expect too much? I know I did. Take care

Thread Information