Thread: Having a breast freak out. reassurance anyone?

Having a breast freak out. reassurance anyone?

Hi,

go gentle, Im really quite panicked here.

Three days ago I took off my bra to get in bed, and about 3/4 of an inch below my left nipple, it felt kinda prickly. Having majoy breast cancer fears, I tried to find the obvious cause my squeesing about looking for an ingrown hair or something. It felt like a tiny prickly splinter, but no pain or anything. Ive felt about and theres no lump there I can find or redness or swelling.

Problem is, instead of leaving it be and waiting for it to go, I squeesed too much and caused a tiny spot... which prickles. So now I dont know if the original prickle has gone, or if it would have gone, had I not caused a spot.

Its been like it three days now, and the spot is now a tiny scab. I dont want to freak out until I know thats not the cause, so I want to wait a day or two before I bother a doctor, because they dont listen, and when they see the spot theyll just say its that.. But for the time being, Im a bit freaked.

There are normal things it could be. Firstly, the seam inside the bra cup lines up with the tingly patch, so it could be sensitive because of that. Also, I changed my pill over almost 4 months ago, so I no longer have periods, so it could just be my body's hormones now I havent got an identifiable monthly cycle to blame.

My mum died of breast cancer and was told that it was not the sort that would run in the family. Because of the trauma of losing my mum, anything to do with my breast sends me into sheer panic.

Ive a history of health anxiety, and understand the power of the mind. The more you focus, the more of a problem something seems... then the anxiety kicks in, and the side effects of that, make you worry the problem is something much worse.

What I need is for someone to be objective for me and rationalise that Im getting it all out of perspective. To my knowledge, cancer does not have a physical sensation on the outside of the skin.... I dont want any horror stories that will send me into a full on pani attack, but was wondering if anyone could offer words of reassurance, that something sinister, wouldnt just pop up over night, with no visible disturbance and no lump to be found. Please help, but also bear in mind, im terrified, so scary stories will just send me into madness right now.

Thanks for reading. x

Re: Having a breast freak out. reassurance anyone?

I don't think you have anything to worry about - my guess is that you have just irritated the skin - and it could take up to a month for it to totally go away (more than likely just a couple of weeks). I can understand how concerned you must be with having breast cancer run in the family. I think you can put your mind at ease with this one...give it a few more days and it should go away on its own!

cheers barb, you know how it is, its when your worst fears seem confirmed by a symptom. Sends me crazy.

hi there sorry you are suffering i know what that is like, maybe it was a little hair i have quite prickly hairs thet grow round my nipples and can feel a bit splinter like, sorry if that's tmi! also i always wear seamless bras now as the seams can cause irritation so might also have been that. hope this helps x

Hope this helps - I have had similar thing occasionally for over 20 years - in fact sometimes I am so convinced that I have something sharp in my bra that I have taken it off and checked and nothing either with bra or on my skin. I will get this sensation in either breast in one spot for about a week then it goes away, I sometimes also get the same prickly sensation going round my side into my back.

I have had numerous possible reasons given by Drs from are you getting shingles!!! NO to its just neuropathy ( irritated nerve endings) to its a hormonal thing.

Whatever, it is not something to worry about ( says she who always did!) as with anything if you have still got it in a week then see the Dr for your peace of mind but a week will not make any difference on way or other.

I completely understand your fears and getting something weird, and I am a gold medalist at weird symptoms! just adds to our fears but hopefully finding someone else with weird breast symptom will help you stop worrying

thank you so much, both of you. Its really reassuring to know that other people are as sensitive to me to the minor things a regular person wouldnt even notice. I feel so much calmer. Ive had hell of a time over it, last night i went to bed at 2.30am, the night before 6am, the night before that, 3am and the night before that 6am again. If Im stressing, theres no point in trying to sleep as my mind gets so preoccupied with what if's that ive no choice but to get up and try and tire myself out. But it's making me awfully weary. x

Thread Information