Thread: One pupil larger than the other...

Exclamation One pupil larger than the other...

Hi Everyone!

Now, I think I've seen this question asked here on this site, but now I cannot find it ....so please forgive me if I'm posting something that's already been posted ...but I am just beside myself with fear and anxiety ...

I started to notice that my LEFT pupil is larger than my right one...now, this is NOT all the time however .... it's on and off. I do notice it more when I first wake up, and I think that's what I read on here somewhere before, that someone else had said the same thing.... Anyway, just a bit of history here behind this: .... back in late June, I woke up at 6 A.M. one morning already very lightheaded, DETACHED, felt like I was swaying, a bit nauseas, off balance....and it actually felt like something was buzzing in my brain or my head.... I was able to make it out to the living room from the bedroom where my husband was still up working on his laptop ... he immediately ran over to me, because I obviously looked like death warmed over, and was holding onto the wall for balance..... all I could do was stare past him, it was weird.....I COULD talk (of course) no slurring of words or anything, but all I could say was "something's wrong"..over and over...the swaying and off balance was horrible! Finally, after sitting on the couch all day, taking two xanax, and a benadryl(in case this was sinus, because I have terrible sinus problems, adn I know they DO CAUSE things similar to this)....the swaying and off balance subsided somewhat, and I was able to walk around the house, CAREFULLY, holding onto things.....by the next day, I still had remnants of this , whatever that was, but things were on the mend.....HOWEVER, the lasting effects of whatever that was...lasted for about, say......9 weeks. Yeah, so, for the next 9 weeks, I still had that swaying off balance feeling on and off......ok, so fast forward till about a month ago, when, the swaying and off balance thing was getting better, I suddenly noticed that my LEFT pupil was larger than my right.........so, I freaked out!
    I natrually started thinking I had a brain tumor! (well, when you put that together with what happ. that morning, and then, how the swaying and off balance thing hung on for weeks, I was CONVINCED i had a brain tumor...geez!) ..... now, it's NOT all the time, as I said previously ..... it happens more when I first wake up ..... but it can happen at any time during the day too..... I realize that the light plays a large part in all of this, so I try to look at my pupils in diff. lighting, in diff. rooms of the house....well, I'd have to say that it always changes, I mean, there are times when I can look in the bathroom mirror, and they look fine, both the same size..other times, the left can look much larger than the right........OK, so ,I run into the bedroom, turn on the light there, and yet again.......SOMETIMES the LEFT can still look bigger than the right...sometimes it looks smaller than the right! Sometimes I will take my hand mirror and go out onto the porch, and look at it in daylight....and again.....I'd have to say, it DEPENDS.....once again, even in daylight, SOMETIMES (that's the key word here) the left can still look bigger than the right.......other times not! I've noticed it does contract with light, it doesn't just stay larger all the time!!!!!

Anyway, after this long crazy anxiety filled post.....I was wondering if anyone here, has this? I am constantly, all day long.....looking at my pupils ...this is insane! At this point in time, I don't have the money or insurance to see a dr. about this, so I'm doing my own homework on the internet, which of course brings up every scary symptom in the world....just what I need. I have found out however, that anxiety can actually cause this.......I also read that xanax can cause pupil dialation, but they must have meant if you do take a lot...I only take a half a mg. a day....sometimes, a whole mg...when I am really frightened! But, then again, there are days (not to may of them) that I can go without xanax altogether ....so, I don't know............. my vision is basically "okay"...not great, but not bad either...... also, just as a side note, the vision in that same LEFT eye is not as good as right eye .... now, that's something I've already had for a few years though.......

Okay,,,,,,that's it........I'm done! geez.....sorry for such a long post....and thank you to anyone who took the time to sit and read this .... I really do appreciate it, and truly do need some opinions here! It can't just be, that if one pupil dialates differently than the other, that HAS to mean a brain tumor.....that can't be! I mean, there HAS TO BE other reasons for that too, right? WEll, here I go again........the anxiety and panic are building up....thank you everyone!!!

People will forget what you said
    People will forget what you did
    But people will never forget how you made them feel

Re: One pupil larger than the other...

Hello. This doesn't have to mean a brain tumor. Please try not to google (look it up online) because you will only scare yourself

There are conditions of the eye that can cause unequal dilitation of the pupils. You don't say if you wear glasses. I know you've said you can't afford to see a doctor, but your eyesight is invaluable. Please try to see an optician.

Hi snowwhite,

When you're in any doubt, you should definitely try to see an optician at the very least, to put your mind at rest.

I have one pupil that's sometimes considerably larger than the other. In low light, my right pupil can easily be twice the size of my left pupil. It's always more noticeable in lower light. Sometimes it's still noticeable in daylight, and sometimes it completely disappears for weeks. My condition was caused by damage to the optic nerve due to a viral infection in my inner ear as a child. This eye has worse vision than the other one.

Now, when I'm anxious, I carry a lot of tension in my neck and shoulders, and my doctor tells me that this can cause significant anisocoria. When this is the case it's always very noticeable when I just wake up as my neck has been strained while lying down. I also suffer with mild migraines, which can also cause your pupils to be different sizes. My optician has exactly the same thing.

Some antidepressants can also cause this.

I hope this can help you relax a little. Just Google a picture of David Bowie if it doesn't, and really look into his eyes...

Hope you feel better soon!

I have been experiencing some eye problems lately and have also noticed one pupil is larger than the other a lot of the time, especially in the mornings. I also have red, irritated eyes and the vision in one eye is a bit blurry on waking.

When I have been in the chat room for too long I get a very strange vision effect where everything looks cluttered for about half an hour. It's as if I lose my ability to focus temporarily.

I am hoping all of these symptoms are being caused by the fact that I need glasses-I am almost 49 and do not wear them.

Being agoraphobic I can't get to the opticians but have now managed to arrange for them to come to me, after I gave them a note from my doctor. So I'll be having an eye exam in the house sometime this month.

It's important to get your eyes checked out regularly, so do make an appointment when you can afford it.

Hiya x
    Some people are born with one pupil bigger than the other. However, if this is something thats happened recently, your first port of call is your opticians, as suggested in previous postings.
    Please dont trust doctor google on this, your optician is the way to go.
    Best wishes, Paula x

Hi everyone....
    thank you all for replying! Yeah, you know, if I did have the money right now, I'd see a dr.! But, that's not going to happen for quite some time, not the way things are going.
    This stupid pupil thing is driving me nuts .. I look at my pupils all day long! LOL ... and naturally they look different all the time. I just want to calm down about this !~ I've had friends tell me it's nothing, or that they have this too from time to time, or whatever.....and as much as I appreciate that, I still get so fearful and anxious! UGH!
    I really wish there was a pill to make FEAR go away!

thank you all so much!

People will forget what you said
    People will forget what you did
    But people will never forget how you made them feel

Thread Information