Thread: Strange feeling in chest

Strange feeling in chest

Hello all. I lost my nephew to sudden death syndrome last year. Life has been so hard since then. Apart from the grief I have been plagued with health anxiety. I have had exercise stress test, MRI and many ecgs. All came back normal. Off late I am getting very strange beats and flutters in my chest. Are these ectopic beats or just palpitations? I feel it related to my stomach for some reason...when I'm hungry or have indigestion? I am so scared to make an appointment to see the docs! I am terrified of being diagnosed with a heart condition. Also can't escape the thoughts of sudden death! It's making my life hell. I have two children and keep thinking..that I'm going to die and they will be left at school!!!almost went to the a/e this morning. I have been before and all came back ok? Any advice would be greatly welcome.

Re: Strange feeling in chest

Maisy, you poor thing, this sounds like you are going through hell right now. If you have been checked by a doctor, had various tests that were all normal, and even been checked at A and E, then I think you can assume that there is nothing wrong with your heart at all. I can totally understand why the sad death of your nephew has resulted in your HA, but you need to remember how incredibly rare something like that is.

It does sound like you are getting ectopic beats.....when they happen can you feel a jump and some fast beats, sometimes in longish runs that seem irregular (read the info on the symptoms on this site). I have had ectopic beats for the last 2 years, and also had them about 20 years ago for quite a while. They are just common place for me now.

Mine are totally related to my stomach, just as you indicate, after a meal they often start, or if my stomach area is tense with anxiety. I can't recall the details, but I have read, there is a nerve near the stomach that can be stimulated and cause ectopic beats in some people; the vagus nerve ? I also find that if I have a bloated stomach and trapped wind, I get a panic attack, almost like an automatic reaction to the stimulus of the bloating.

I hope this helps a bit ?

Thank you so much for taking the time out to reply to me. Yes sounds like what you feel. Have felt dizzy today but I think I may be getting a cold from the kids. I have had all the tests. The MRI and stress and various ecgs were fine. Keep reading the CRY website and reading different types of tests and thinking that mine were insufficient! It's been such a battle. My cbt course work is not helping at all. Today has been a blind panic. Just want to feel normal...it's been such a long year. Trapped wind makes it worse and not eating too. Have to try and arrange to get some counselling. Feeling pretty distraught at the moment. Thank you so much..it's helps being here for sure.

Hi Maisyp,
    You are not on your own, I get strange feelings and flutters in my chest and I am sure there is somethign wrong with my heart which that makes me start to panic and get all upset which then makes the feeling worse. I then take myself off to the docs which I did this morning after being so upset about it last night and to be told that it is indigestion and acid reflux so have been prescribed Omeprazole - he listened to my heart and it was fine. I would recommend going to see your doctor and explaining how you feel, he/she can then put your mind at rest and prescribe you something to help with the indigestion.

Hope this helps...

Thread Information