Thread: I can't take the sickness from coming off sertraline any more

Thumbs down I can't take the sickness from coming off sertraline any more

I've been going through a tough time as of late coming of a certain medicine notorious for producing severe withdrawal symptoms.
    It was necessary to come off the tablets as they were a suspect in my digestive health troubles. After tapering off as slowly as I could, I finally was down to zero, and was delighted with myself. If only I'd known what was around the corner, I may of approached things differently, but, I didn't so I couldn't.
    From the day after I came off the medicine, I have been suffering from severe almost constant nausea, spells of dizziness and frequent anxiety attacks. I like to think I dealt with it in the best way possible, dealing with them by not eating foods that upset my stomach, taking motillium for the nausea, and Xanax when the panic attacks got to much to handle.
    It's exam year and I haven't been in since the 5th of October, I just can't, the symptoms are too bad and have been almost constant, so much so that I can hardly muster up the energy to eat, (Ive lost about 5-6 pound in a month) which is not good as I was already borderline clinically underweight.
    After a month of relentless digestive troubles, acute dizziness and a solemn mood, I was prescribed with a different medicine then the one I was on previously, that if taken should reverse the discontinuation symptoms quickly and have me back to my old, moderately anxious and nauseous self.
    I'd push on through if I knew that I would feel better soon, but the fact of the matter is, if I don't take the medicine that may cause me to feel sick, I could suffer for the next few months.
    After putting all of my energy into facing each day without my tablets, I feel as if giving up now would be a failure on my part because I'l never know if it was the medicine that was causing my nausea or not. And I'l never know if I was nearly over the worst in terms of my discontinuation symptoms.
    I don't want to be on antidepressants for the rest of my life, mainly because I don't need them anymore, I just want to feel better so I can get on with my life.

Does anyone have any experience with anything similar that they might be able to help me with?

Thanks for reading, it's a long thread but I hope this may be able to relate to somebody else who's suffering in silence from withdrawal symptoms, or just anxiety disorders in general.

If anybody has any questions ask and I'l answer.

Its been getting worse instead of better, I went on prozac today as its meant to be easier to come off, but it's just given me diarrhea and I feel even sicker and dizzier.

Re: I can't take the sickness from coming off sertraline any more

Hi JC my heart goes out to you especially with it being your exam year. I would say if you can try your best to stay off them. But please though go to your gp and try and see if he/she can give you something to ease the withdrawals. I am going through the same as I have come off citalopram. I know how you are feeling. I am going to my gp tomorow to see if I can get diazipam. just to help me coming off this horrid drug. As for your exams I am sure you can sit them another time. Just look after yourself. take care

Cathy xx

Re: I can't take the sickness from coming off sertraline any more

I've been trying to go off Sertraline for a good 8 weeks now but have had 2 episodes of feeling weak, nauseas and really just not great. I've had to take to take time off work (6 days so far) which is becoming frustrating.

To be honest I wasn't sure what the problem was. I've had blood tests to see if it was anything else but reading these posts has made me realise what I'm actually going though; a sort-of 'withdrawal'.

My doctor suggested going back on the medication ... which is what I'm doing but I do want to get off the medication as I am feeling a lot better mentally. It's just the side-effects that are really knocking me around.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get off the medication and not suffer the side-effects?

Appreciate any advice.

Thread Information