Thread: Ladies only please - side affects

Ladies only please - side affects

Hi ladies i hope this hasnt already been covered as I've tried searching the old posts for something similar. I have a copper coil fitted and ive been on citalopram for nearly 6 weeks. I had 10mg for 4 weeks and just went up to 20 mg a week ago. My stomach feels a little queasy but I'm a little concerned about these awful bouts of cramping i keep getting in my left groin - so painful i have to stop what i'm doing and take a breath. My period is also very heavy but i'm not sure if thats down to the coil. I would say i get at least one cramp a day but some days quite a few. I've also had a slight twitch in my left eyelid the last couple of days that comes and goes.

Has anyone else had symptoms like this and if so do they eventually fade? My friends have also commented on my weight loss and my general look of greyness - I'm wondering if my heavy periods are making me anemic and if so is it ok to take iron tablets with citalopram? I have also lost complete interest in sex - which i'm overthinking now and feel like i should just "get it over with and do it" with my husband so that he doesnt leave me because I dont want him looking elsewhere......overactive brain e.t.c.... does it come back and if so how long - its not his fault feel bad

If its a small price to pay for getting better then i dont mind but wanted to ask around in case its more to do with the tablets not agreeing with me. I dont want to go back to the docs if i'm overthinking things - which i'm pretty much doing about everything at the moment!

Re: Ladies only please - side affects

Hi
    I think the cramps may be due to the coil and heavy bleeds can make you anaemic. Loss of sex drive is a common side effect of Citalopram but it goes when you stop taking them.
    xx

You can take Iron tabs but Iron rich foods would be better .Once the drug has settled you will feel more like you again .Not everyone loses sex drive completly and it can be a temp thing .Weight loss and feeing queasy is a side effect .This will pass and you will put the weight back on .It will take 4-6 weeks on your new dose to feel the full benefits Twitchy eye is caused by anxiety .This will pass too ..Hope you feel better soon .Sue x

I found my first period after taking Citalopram was really heavy and a lot longer than usual if that helps.

thanks everyone, I'm sticking with the meds and the pain has now eased slightly, anxiety is back but i guess some days are better than others while the meds settle - it is worth sticking with it as i feel better than i did

The twitchy eye has stopped for now thank goodness - i think it was starting to drive me crazy!
    Last edited by NewMum; 22-11-11 at 21:38. Reason: missed some

Quote Originally Posted by NewMum View Post
    thanks everyone, I'm sticking with the meds and the pain has now eased slightly, anxiety is back but i guess some days are better than others while the meds settle - it is worth sticking with it as i feel better than i did

The twitchy eye has stopped for now thank goodness - i think it was starting to drive me crazy!

I too had a twitch in my face after takin the pills...it does pass. It is annoying x

Thread Information