Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Panic Attacks from feeling full or feeling hungry?

Re: Panic Attacks from feeling full or feeling hungry?

Hey guys, I realize this is an old post but I'm having the same problem currently and want to chime in. It's good to hear that I'm not totally alone on this, because at times it feels so odd.

WB

After lunch at work when I sit back at my desk, I get very anxious sometimes which can lead me to going into a full blown panic attack. This tends to happen more when I eat a bit more for lunch and i'm pretty full. Wish I knew why.

Yup, me too. It's been the source of most of my panic attacks now for about 2 months. At first it was just eating, but that's not an issue anymore. I eat fine, accept sometime after, maybe an hour later, if I start to think about it, i'll get panicky. I suppose if I'm thinking about it doesn't happen every time, although I definitely feel nervous about it every time I eat.

Hi folks,

I find that eating little and often helps during the day. Unfortunately the majority of my PA's happen at night and I think that low blood sugar is a trigger. Big meals are a no-no for me. Also it's important to think about what you are eating as a lot of foods and drinks can trigger a panic attack. For instance, I read one post on here where a lady was drinking green tea in order to 'calm down' but green tea is actually a stimulant. It's effective in weight loss because it ups the metabolism. When it comes to herbal teas, I've found it helpful to check the ingredients because I found that licorice root is added to many 'calming' ones presumably for taste and, again, licorice is a stimulant. I stick to chamomile.
    When you are sensitized, I find that it's best to eat little, often and bland because the system is overloaded as it is so it makes sense not to add to the problem by eating sugar laden foods or foods that the body has to work hard to digest. The night I had the panic attack that saw me in A & E, I'd had a spicy chilli and a pint of high strength beer with a 'hint' of licorice - not that I realised until after.
    All the best, Nora

Hey NoraB,

I totally agree. I've cut out caffeine completely, and I never really eat spicy foods to begin with, but for me I can't completely give up sugar. It's probably what is still causing me at least some of my anxiety these days because I find when I can eat I always want something sweet which as you would point out is a stimulant.

WB

Quote Originally Posted by winter-blues View Post
    Hey NoraB,

I totally agree. I've cut out caffeine completely, and I never really eat spicy foods to begin with, but for me I can't completely give up sugar. It's probably what is still causing me at least some of my anxiety these days because I find when I can eat I always want something sweet which as you would point out is a stimulant.

WB
    Ooh I love spicy food. I once was the vindaloo queen but these days I can't manage a korma without breaking a sweat.

Sugar is a tough one to give up WB that's for sure but for me it makes sense to cut it out altogether or at least be mindful of when you are eating it. Sugar doesn't cause panic attacks but it can trigger them so I would avoid eating it late in the day as a night time panic attack due to a sugar spike will just make things worse. When the body becomes sensitized changes that we'd normally tolerate without a problem can trigger an attack. Maybe once I'm not so sensitive, I will risk the odd Kit Kat again.

Hey Nora,

That's great advice. It's funny how food effects us. For me at times it was form of comfort, but since my Panic attacks started back up it's been a source of anxiety. I'm hoping with with some more time, I'll be able to relax again and not get so anxious every time I eat. I've had some good days lately so that's progress I think.

WB

Quote Originally Posted by winter-blues View Post
    Hey Nora,

That's great advice. It's funny how food effects us. For me at times it was form of comfort, but since my Panic attacks started back up it's been a source of anxiety. I'm hoping with with some more time, I'll be able to relax again and not get so anxious every time I eat. I've had some good days lately so that's progress I think.

WB
    I'm pretty much in the same boat regards food. I love my food but the panic attacks override that.

Good to hear that you are having good days. I had a good day yesterday. Today, not so good but I keep telling myself that the good days will keep coming and one day they will outnumber the bad.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information