Thread: Very severe panic attack during the night - reassurance needed, please

Very severe panic attack during the night - reassurance needed, please

Hello,
    Last night I went to bed, having taken a sleeping tablet, as I had a big day the next day - I have to go on a trip with my mum to visit my sister. I haven't been sleeping well lately, as I have a deviated septum which causes me to wake with a stuffy nose several times a night, and also I've been suffering with anxiety at night. Anyway, having taken my tablet I thought I'd be fine and sleep through the night. How wrong was I! I fell asleep almost immediately, but an hour later - at 12.30 - I woke with my chest and neck wet with sweat, my heart pounding, my stomach twisting and a terrible, desperate feeling of panic. Really alarming was the fact that my arms and legs were shaking so badly I felt that I was losing control of my limbs. I was terrified that I had some dreadful virus - I have emetophobia - but the fear was something I can't describe, it was terrible. I felt nauseous, my guts were churning, and I had to go to the toilet and empty my bowels (sorry). When I was sitting on the loo my legs were shaking so much that my feet were banging against the wall. The shaking went on for about 15 minutes, then I calmed down a bit and began to doze, probably because I'd taken the sedative. For the next few hours, though, I kept waking up and feeling hot and as though I had acid in my veins.
    This morning I am really scared and discouraged. I feel that I can't face life at all, and I'm really scared of this happening to me again. Please, I just want to be reassured that other people have this. I'm especially worried because this happened to me even though I'd had a sleeping tablet. Does that mean that there's something wrong with me? Does anyone else have the uncontrollable shaking? Please help, I will be very grateful for replies.
    Last edited by Zingara; 01-12-11 at 10:14.

Re: Very severe panic attack during the night - reassurance needed, please

I don't get the shaking but have woken with the other symptoms you describe. At other times my hands have been shaking when I have Panic strike. So shaking is a symptom definately.

My partner was in a near miss with another car last week and she, who doesnt suffer anxiety was shaking like a leaf. It is part of the fight or flight responce.

Night time can be a lonely time and also a long time to get through when you suffer anxiety, specially if you can sleep.

I have found with my anxiety just because something happens once doesnt mean it will always happen like that.

Hi Zingara

When I suffered from Panic Disorder one of my biggest problems was sleeping and waking in the morning - as soon as my head hit the pillow I would feel very unreal - sometimes as if I was falling through space - or I would hear chattering voices or see lots of images flashing at me. Then in the middle of the night i would wake up and immediately go into panic - numbness, shaking, sweating, the lot!

What I didn't know then was that this is incredibly common with Panic disorder - about 60% of people with panic disorder experience panic attacks on awakening.

What happens is that we have a LOT of anticipatory anxiety building about various things - events, situations or just a fear of being anxious. This anticipatory anxiety creates a lot of low level adrenaline in our body. This means we can be easily triggered into the fight or flight response. Because of this low level adrenaline very often during sleep our body can produce unusual sensations (that are harmless but unusual) So if we wake up due to these sensations we INSTANTLY feel that something is wrong - it all happens SO fast that we don't even realise that we have 'thought the worst' - which causes a massive increase in adrenaline - which can lead to increased fight or flight sensations - like shaking or sweating

Once we understand fully what is happening we can learn to 'catch' this before it spirals - we may still experience a lot of anxiety on awakening but the key is to let it happen and try not to build it up by thinking the worst.

To do this you really need more understanding and a lot of cognitive and behavioural skills - can I suggest that you give CBT4PANIC a try - and if you do please let me know how you get on.

You CAN get past this
    Best of luck
    Robin

CBT4Panic is now completely FREE and anyone can access the full programme here http://cbt4panic.org/

I had almost the same experience before. My anxiety always peaks at night a little while after I go to sleep. Sometimes it is as bad as you described and it is exhausting and extremely terrifying. The next morning you don't want to ever start your day because there is a chance that the same thing will happen and it's almost like it's not worth it to ever wake up. But it is. And you can get through it because it is harmless and slowly you can regain control of your body because it is YOURS. Remember, that all of us on this site have felt like you have and we are okay and we will all be okay. Learn some breathing exercises, if you try to be at peace with everything that is going on and accept that this is something you have and will fight, you will slowly go uphill, I promise.

I was on celexa for 10 years and weaned myself down to 5 mg and in October of this year developed another bout of interstitial cystitis..needless to say, my panic and anxiety went out of control...I upped my celexa to 10 mg for two weeks which did nothing and now I am on 20 mg for the last two weeks...I am still waking up with racing heart, night sweats, burning in arms and chest and churning stomach. this happens several times a night and finally I wake up at 4 am and cannot get back to sleep..I am exhausted. Is this a side effect of the celexa and will it go away. I had done so well with no panic attacks for over 15 years...this is very hard to deal with and I have lost over 20 lbs...unable to eat and sleep...some days I want to die....any help would be appreciated...I even find taking an ativan does not help

Hi... just checking in to say thank you very much to everyone who replied - it's a cliche, but I really do feel better for knowing that I'm not alone with it. Since I posted this it has happened to me just once during the night - almost the same as the time I described, but it didn't last quite as long, though again I had the shaky legs - that symptom scares me SO much! Panic attacks are hell at any time, but when they strike you when your brain is all fuddled with sleep they're even worse - I feel so terrified and out of control. I am worried about the Xmas period coming up, as I struggle with it anyway (eating issues, lack of privacy and routine, family conflict etc.) and I am so scared that my panic will escalate.
    Thank you all once again. xx

Thread Information