Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bus journey.

Bus journey.

Let us imagine that you are waiting at a bus stop on a grey Tuesday afternoon. Extending this imaginative scenario, let us assume that despite having waited at this bus stop before, you are in an anxious state. From the seat you are resting on, you scan your immediate field of perception, giving special attention to places to retreat to, should your anxiety escalate. Although you are unable to visually see your home, you detect its proximity as a reassuring warmth in your body. Still waiting for the arrival of the bus, you are beginning to grow impatient. Standing up up to gain better view of incoming traffic, you experience a surge of dizziness pulse through your head. The dizziness is only abated when you see the bus approaching. You exhale slowly. When it arrives, you are relived that the bus is comparatively free of passengers. Those passengers that have boarded the bus are either gazing out the window or otherwise buried in newspapers. You take a seat and continue to breathe slowly.

The electric doors close and the bus resumes its journey. At the next stop, a flux of passengers enters the bus, one of whom sits next to you. Experiencing the person as trapping you in the seat, you tense your fist and become aware of a hostility directed toward the passenger. A transformation is beginning to take place in your experience of the world. Every heterogeneous marker that you pass—a square, a monument, a notable building—becomes further material evidence of your distance from home. Indeed, you measure space less in geometrical terms, and more in respect of how anxious your body has become. When the bus passes over a bridge, you feel the ground beneath you swell with vertiginous absence. As though you are floating in midair, you grip the person next to you tightly with the aim of rooting yourself in place. Before you have the chance to mutter an apology, you body has begun another series of involuntary reactions and spasms. You grip the collar of your shirt so tight that three of the buttons proceed to pop off in a comical fashion, landing somewhere on the floor of the bus. As the bus turns a sharp corner, you automatically fix your hand on the window, as you feel your inner organs judder violently with every turn in the bus’s course.

Beyond the bridge, the bus is now in dense crowds and traffic infested roads. It stops in the midst of congestion. The large windows open onto an endless stream of anonymous and depersonalised human beings. At times, you cannot even be sure that these material entities are indeed human, such is the intense aura of unfamiliarity permeating the enclosure of the bus. The trembling you experienced when crossing the bridge is now accompanied by oscillating and intense pangs of hunger and thirst. Sensing that you might imminently slip into unconsciousness, you wade through your bag in a frenzied state looking for a bottle of water. The respite afforded by the water is only momentary. As the bus surfaces from the traffic, it journeys through a series of alleyways. The high walls, enclosed darkness, and lack of view give you the impression of being swallowed at sea by mounting waves and thunderous clouds. All that prevents you from succumbing to a primal urge to flee is the thought of being abandoned in an unfamiliar part of the city. That you are able to maintain the course is only because you are now clutching your phone, braced to establish contact with the world of familiarity. As you grip the phone tightly in your hand, a memory comes to you.

Once, you had drifted to sleep while riding the bus and awoken to find yourself in an alien part of the city with the bus devoid of all its passengers. You remember the sinking feeling and violent panic you experienced that afternoon, the sense that you could be anywhere at anytime. Indeed, so intense was the discomfort of not being placed, that you felt yourself drown with the material reality beneath you dissolve. Lacking all means of orientation, every grain of your material body seemed to be diluted in the visceral anxiety of not knowing where you were.

Haunted by the memory and now in a state of amplified anxiety, you submit to an urge to use your phone. There, you mutter the words through trembling teeth, “On the bus…can’t breathe…feel like I’m going to die…” The voice on the other end of the call is familiar and calming. As the person begins to talk you out of an anxious state, you become aware of the incongruity of the situation, as though the reassuring tone of their voice were mutually incompatible with the alienness of the bus journey. But the two realms are now joined in the space of the bus. Hearing the trusted person remind you to breathe slowly, you absorb the calmness of their tone into your bodily being, as though you had previously forgotten to breathe and were instead relying on an external cue to activate your breathing apparatus. Slowly you begin to resume a non-anxious mode of being. Only instead of returning to a pre-anxious body, the post-anxious body you have now become is drained of energy, depleted of spirit, and in the midst of an intense migraine. Looking around the interior of the bus, the wariness you previously felt gives way to a numb exhaustion. You sink into the chair in a state of deflated gloom.
    Last edited by MaxHeadroom; 02-12-11 at 22:24. Reason: Typos.

Re: Bus journey.

Why did you post this? To what purpose?
    It is extremely well written, a perfect description of an anxious situation. I do feel comfort when I realize people feel the same as me - but I don't understand why you would want to put a rather negetive tale such as this on here with no explanation or catharsis?

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

I apologise. I meant to preface this with an explanation - but it didn't come though. My reason for posting this is twofold. One, I wonder if it tallies with anyone's experience. Two, can people who have undergone a similar journey, tell me if they would not suffer anxiety if the bus was devoid of people?

As for negative tales and catharsis. Sadly, anxiety does not lend itself to a positive tone. I'm just giving a report. Catharsis is long term and is built upon a recognition that anxiety is essentially an illusion that can cause no harm. Obviously, getting to that recognition can take many steps and hurdles, and must be done in your own way.

Thanks.

Thanks Maxheadroom....your synopsis is spot on and I believe many anxiety sufferers will relate to your post. I couldn't have written it like you did but it totally explains what we go through on our journey into the unfamiliar. I read it with total empathy and wish I could put my own experiences into those words so that others who don;t understand could maybe gain a small glimpse into my world just for a few moments. I hope you are on the road to recovery and thank you for sharing your experience with us

Thanks, yes I am actually recovered. The recovery was rapid rather than gradual. Once I dealt with bridges and supermarkets, everything else fell into place.

What I'm writing is a memory that took place around a year ago. This alone is a very peculiar sensation - the experience of agoraphobia as a memory. I hope you won't think me flippant to say that I'm ambivalent about no longer being agoraphobic. I do believe that there is a "secondary gain" to agoraphobia that may not be instantly evident to us when we're suffering from it. It is such an unusual and totally irrational experience that for this reason, it is also immensely valuable.

All the best in your own recovery.

Thanks....I would be interested to hear your views/reasoning on the 'secondary gain' and immense value....at present I dealing with my fears and tackling them as best I can...am on diaz which seems to be helping but just can't function too well out of my comfort zone.

For example: agoraphobia gives life a very clear structure/meaning. The meaning and structure is centred around the focal point of the home. This is the bearer of meaning, the home. To this end, for an agoraphobic person, their choices in life are limited by their proximity to home. Developing meaning in the world is no easy thing, and doesn't always come from our jobs or relationships. Agoraphobia is a very powerful force - it determines what we can and cannot do in the world. It guides us.

Please be clear - I'm not at all suggesting that agoraphobia is an excuse for avoiding things. And I'm certainly not trying to offer a psychoanalytic account. I'm only saying that we attach ourselves to the agoraphobic condition because it provides us with something that is favourable or advantageous. After all, agoraphobia does not enforce itself upon us, as though it's some kind of toxic disease. It is not a "mental illness" or the result of fault chemicals. It is a particular way that set foot in the world. It may not be pleasurable, but this doesn't mean that it is serving some other purpose.

With respect to the immense value: agoraphobia teaches us all we need to know about relations with others, the structure of space, and the role our bodies play in defining who we are.

Personally, I don't think much value can come from diazepam. It's important to experience anxiety as anxiety. But take things in your own time.

Interesting and thought provoking.....I have found the diazepam has given back some of the confidence that my anxiety took away. I realise that this is only a short term solution to what I am experiencing at this particular moment in time and I am using lots of self help techniques to work alongside it. Thanks again for your input. I can and I will overcome this. Maybe you should consider writing a book? Just food for thought

That makes more sense now, yes. I know anxiety is a negetive illness, I just felt a bit disappointed at the end as I like to see either advice or a question at the end of the post. But its your post and it makes sense now with what you said after so no worries
    It certainly tallies with my feelings - in fact that is the best description of an anxious situation I have ever come acrross. I would say that an empty bus would cause me less anxiety, but not get rid of it. I would look at the public as obstacles on my journey, and the bus as the overall challenge.

PS. Well done for getting better!
    Take care

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Hello Max
    Such a good piece of writing. Well done. I think it should come with a bit of a health warning however, as at a certain point in our trajectory towards recovery with panic anxiety your story could well induce a panic attack in some....I am sure that is not your intention however. Chemical imbalance can contribute to anxiety and so in turn can start a panic attack, this is fact and so I would have to differ with you there. An interesting post though Max and glad that you have been able to get a handle on your anxiety. Best wishes Vx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information