Thread: Blood test today - leukaemia fear

Blood test today - leukaemia fear

I have had a virus for two weeks now, but the virus is more or less gone and I am still getting night sweats every single night. Today I have a blood tests and when the Dr gave me the form she said that she wanted to rule out anything serious like leukaemia! I am beside myself, now convinced I have this, especially as I always seem to have small bruises on my calves.
    I want to know how long it would take them to tell me if I have leukaemia. Would they know for side from my blood test? Would they just ring me and tell me, or would I have to wait for an appointment with my GP? I have never been so worried in my life, I really do have the symptoms of this and even the Dr thinks I might have it.

Re: Blood test today - leukaemia fear

I am so sorry to hear that. I know how you must feel but try not to worry too much alot of times gps will do blood tests just in case its kind of like something they have to do and most of the time they probably dont even think you have it.

My gp knows I freak out alot so she always says that she has to do this just to rule things out and she always says she doesnt think I would have it but its just a rule out thing.

Try not to worry about it too much though as usually it probably wouldnt be that.

All the best (((hug)))

---------- Post added at 22:25 ---------- Previous post was at 22:22 ----------

reading your post again your doc said she wanted to rule it out thats not neccessarily mean she thinks you have it its just she wants to test you for it to rule it out so she can move on further with your virus. Again I wouldnt be too worried about it my doc always gives me tests to rule out diabetes even though I know there is no chance I would have that and she knows that too she just has to follow protocol.

I used to have the same fear years ago. I had bruises, bleeding gums, nose bleeds etc...... I had a blood test and it reassured me.

They will do a full blood count, from that test if you had leaukemia there would be indications from some of the results, they would then go on to do further tests, but a full blood count is the blood test that gives doctors a good look at your overall health. If it comes back normal then 100% you do not have leaukemia.

If you had leaukemia you would be very unwell. I don't have this fear anymore but 7 years ago it ruled my life, so I do know how scared you must feel.

Let us know how you get on xxxx

Thank you so much for your support. I had the blood test today and they said it will only take two days to get the result. On the one hand i am glad it is so quick, but on the other hand, I feel like in two days my lofe could be turned upsidedown and I am so scared about finding out the result. I will updaye when I know.

(((hug)))

I know how you feel and it must be horrible. Let us know I am sure it will be fine. Like I said gps have to rule things out first. My gp had to rule out colon or bowel cancer for me before I got diagnosed with IBS and she said she doesnt think I have it but just to rule out the serious stuff first.

Thread Information