Thread: Citalopram blip week 4.5

Citalopram blip week 4.5

Hi, I'm new here! I just wondered if anyone can put me at ease. I started citalopram 20mg just over 4 weeks ago, mainly for anxiety/post natal depression (2 years after my LO was born). The first 2-3 weeks weren't fun but last week I was really starting to feel some improvement...able to function more normally, not as anxious etc. I've had a cold and the last couple of days have been battling with that so have felt drained and I'm sure that's not helping...but this morning I woke up feeling dizzy, then of course I panicked thinking all sorts (as I do). I have felt anxious, and a bit depressed all morning now and am panicking that I'm going to end up back at square one as i haven't felt this bad for a while.

Is it normal to have blips like this on the medication? Does it stabilise at some point? It's my first blip I suppose and I'm anxious about being stuck in this hole again when I had hope that the meds were working. I'm also having CBT alongside it but it's early days.

Thanks so much!

Re: Citalopram blip week 4.5

to nmp, i think you are definately having a blip, try not wo worry too much, it can happen, and having a cold to contend with won't help at all, i take citalopram, and it took a long time to kick in for me, you are having some good results and quite quickly, which is great, just go with ti today, i'm sure it will pass, not easy i know, but 4.5 weeks is still early days for you, hope you get better soon x

Thank you so much for your reply pinkdove.

That makes me feel better. It's my first time on ADs, and with anxiety to contend with, it's been a battle coming this far as it's a big step to take, admitting that I needed some help.

I was starting to feel excited about things again for the first time in a long time after suffering with panic disorder/pnd and feeling the way I am today has reminded me just how awful it has been and I can't bear to end up back there. I will try to stay positive today and hope that I'm on the up again by the end of the week.

I do feel some nausea today too so hopefully it's just another ramp up of the tabs.

What a journey. Thanks so much for your support.

Hi im now on week 12 of cit, i increased to 30mg 3 wks ago for anxiety and panic attacks, these blips are normal and all part of ur recovery, ive had plenty of them in my 12 wks, infact i had a 5 hr blip yesterday where i felt panicky and it was an awful feeling because u actually forget the fear that anxiety and panics bring when you've been feeling good and so it hits u harder, hope it passes soon xx

Hi... yes I started this med on Nov 1st so about the same as you. I keep getting bad bouts of laziness too also some insomnia, but I'm going to stick with it and wait for the improvement. Good luck!

Thread Information