Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citalopram upped form 20mg to 40mg

Citalopram upped form 20mg to 40mg

Has anyone else jumped up like this before? From what I read a lot of people go from 20-30-40mg? Due to start tonight. I guess i should take my drs advice and go with it. Anyone else here jumped from 20-40mg? what were the side effects like?
    thanks all

Re: Citalopram upped form 20mg to 40mg

Hi ive gone straight from 20tro 40mg before in the past when i took cit and i was fine but this time just going from 20 to 30mg brought on heightened anxiety again how long have u been on cit altogether? xx

Does this anxiety eventually go away? I'm on my sixth week of medication now and went from 20mg to 30mg about a week ago. I'm so so anxious most of the time... when does it all kick in?

Quote Originally Posted by Catya View Post
    Does this anxiety eventually go away? I'm on my sixth week of medication now and went from 20mg to 30mg about a week ago. I'm so so anxious most of the time... when does it all kick in?
    Hi im now on my 12th week (nearly 4wks on 30mg) and im feeling loads better, had no anxiety or panic apart from a 3 hour blip on monday!! the heightened anxiety does pass honestly, i know exactly how your feeling but stick with it cause your nearly there, did your doc give u any diazepam or anything to help u thro tilll the cit kicks in? it was a godsend to me and many others on here! xx

Quote Originally Posted by Catya View Post
    I could have written this post!! I am also 6 weeks in total and have been on 30 mg for two weeks. I still feel the anxiety for sure but it is so reassuring to read nicola's response (thanks nicola!). Hope we get there soon!

When I was in the early stages of taking them I jumped from 20 to 40 and it didn't agree with me I had the shakes and my jaw kept chattering as if I was cold. Was a weird feeling. Went down to 30 and was fine.

As I said this was after I had been taking them for a month or two but everybody is different, its finding the right balance.

---------- Post added at 01:22 ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by alovinmama View Post
    I could have written this post!! I am also 6 weeks in total and have been on 30 mg for two weeks. I still feel the anxiety for sure but it is so reassuring to read nicola's response (thanks nicola!). Hope we get there soon!
    It will get better, just takes a while to adjust. I started to feel better after about 2 months. The anxiety and panic will always be there they just help control it better. I would recommend CBT, worked really well for me.

I was on citalopram for about 18 months but they are not having the same effect so I am now on sertraline. 1st night and cant sleep don't feel anxious though

---------- Post added at 01:22 ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 ----------

[/COLOR]

It will get better, just takes a while to adjust. I started to feel better after about 2 months. The anxiety and panic will always be there they just help control it better. I would recommend CBT, worked really well for me.

I was on citalopram for about 18 months but they are not having the same effect so I am now on sertraline. 1st night and cant sleep don't feel anxious though[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the encouragement that things will get better. It's a tad discouraging to read that the anxiety - and even the panic - will always be
    there. 7 weeks ago I didn't have it at all nor had I ever, but now it is my new reality, these overwhelming feelings. :( I just want to be me again. Perhaps my expectations are too high?

[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the encouragement that things will get better. It's a tad discouraging to read that the anxiety - and even the panic - will always be
    there. 7 weeks ago I didn't have it at all nor had I ever, but now it is my new reality, these overwhelming feelings. :( I just want to be me again. Perhaps my expectations are too high?[/QUOTE]

Everyone is different, I believe it can be beaten. Some people have done it.

When I first had it I just wanted to be normal, wanted the old me back. I thought the pills would be the magic cure but in reality it just doesn't work like that.

For now just take each day as it comes, you will have good days and you will have not so good days. In the long run you will be able to learn how to cope with the not so good days.

I think you could really benefit from CBT. Try and keep a diary of your feelings and what situations trigger the panic and anxiety, then think about why these situations triggered it.

Before you can beat it you need to understand it. You can get there. Already for me, being part of this forum has helped a great deal.

So please don't be discouraged, stay positive, chin up

I went straight from 20 to 40 , had no problems and within a few weeks started to feel better

Yes , well I too have been upped to 40mg tonight by my gp. Am trying to keep positive about it and not fight the medication ( which I hate taking ). Good luck to you all. X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information