Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight Side Effects

Weight Side Effects

Just wanted to pick your brains. I'm on antidepressants at the moment and my weight has been zooming up since taking them a year ago. I don't fit into any of my old clothes. People close to me are starting to point the finger. My life style hasn't changed much since taking them - if anything I have become more healthy. The doctor is not having any of it though. Has anyone out there had similar problems as weight becoming a side effect? Or is it just the oncoming of middleage :-)

Tulip

Hi,

Yes it has happened with me too so i joined Weight Watchers online & the weight is comming off nicely now.

Alex

Many People Will Walk
    In & Out Of Your Life
    But Only True Friends
    Will Leave Footprints
    In Your Heart

Maybe its because you are feeling that bit calmer now and its just relaxing thats doing it.I know i have lost alot if weight and i have to say its drop over the last few months and i have been on ads for 3months.So it would be interesting to see if i regain that weight when i start to feel back to normal.Try not to worryxx

Hi Tulip

This is a common side effect of antidepressants, although some appear worse than others. Different people also react differently to medication.

Weight gain on meds
    weight gain
    Lexapro and Weight Gain
    Weight Gain and Citalopram
    SSRI's and weight gain

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

to counter weight gain my doctor prescribed welbutrin it worked!!!

Hi Tulip

I took seroxat for about a year, 3 yrs ago & I gained quite a lot of weight. What antidpressants are you taking?

Cath x

Anafranil. It is one of the older ones I am told.

Tulip

Hi

I have gained a couple stone while being on Prozac, for 18 months and still gaining. lol

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

Hi

I have been on Prozac now for just about two years, and am in the process of coming off it.

Weight gain can be a side effect for SOME people, although this doesn't happen to everybody who takes it. Very simply, fluoxetine slow the metabolism, which can explain why you put on more weight, even though you are not eating any more.

I feel so much better for having taken my course, that it's made the weight gain (nearly) bearable!

I'm not going to divulge how much I've put on. But it's a sizeable amount. And I've had to buy some new clothes.

Mind you as Amanda, my CBT therapist said - better fat and happy than thin and alive! (Before anybody says this isn't very professional, can I just say she has played a huge part in getting me better, we get on very well, and I have been seeing her for 4 years nearly, so she knows exactly what I will laugh at)

The good news is that EVERYBODY that I have spoken to, who has taken prozac and put on weight have ALL lost it once they have stopped taking the tablets.

I'm in the process of coming off mine (3 a week at the minute, so will keep you informed). Before I found some people who had been on it and come off it, I threw all my old thin clothes away, so how cross will I be if the weight does drop off, and I end up with a wardrobe full of clothes two sizes too big!! (Good job I'm quite handy with a sewing machine - after all it's easier to take in than let out)

Just be careful what you eat, make sure you watch your portion sizes and eat healthily to avoid putting on too much.

Love

Charlie

Nemesis - Rita QofS I JFDI'd THEM!!!!!!

Yes, I had to buy some new clothes too. I asked my new doctor that it was high to reduce my dose (anafrananil). He told me that as this medication was quite old, it would become highly addictive after a few years. He didn't know why it was perscribed in the first place. I am now down to 1 pill per day. So far so good. I will see if it does anything to my weight, which I have been worrying about.

Tulip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information