Thread: How long after donating blood will i be notified if i have HIV/something else?

How long after donating blood will i be notified if i have HIV/something else?

I gave blood pretty much exactly a week ago Today. Got a call from the the blood centre thanking for the donation, does that mean it's passed the tests? He said i'd be written to in the next few days, will i be notified then? Or seperately some time after?

I'm so obsessive i know! Cheers.

Re: How long after donating blood will i be notified if i have HIV/something else?

Hey,

Normally bloods take about a week to come back... did they specifically tell you if, you would get any results etc?
    Im guessing if you hear nothing in the next week you are fine....

Re: How long after donating blood will i be notified if i have HIV/something else?

Can I ask you why you think you could have HIV ? ....thanks ...Sue

I don't 'think' i have it, i think it's a possibility, which it is.

I've had unprotected sex with a girl a few times, though it's very unlikely she has anything, i'm very obsessive as i said

Ive been through the whole HIV thing, after having unprotected sex then finding out the girls ex is a right player...

Believe me you dont have HIV unless you have been sleeping with a lot of prostitutes or gay men....

In my obsession i learnt a lot about HIV.... firstly its actually a hard disease to contract and has to have perfect conditions....

Secondly about 50,000 people have it in the UK, seems a lot? Well if you think 50,000 out of 60 million in the UK, it actually works out about 0.001% of the population.... most of these cases are in gay men or immigrants from other countries... the cases of hetrosexual british to british intercourse is less than a thousand....

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJames3 View Post
    Ive been through the whole HIV thing, after having unprotected sex then finding out the girls ex is a right player...

Believe me you dont have HIV unless you have been sleeping with a lot of prostitutes or gay men....

In my obsession i learnt a lot about HIV.... firstly its actually a hard disease to contract and has to have perfect conditions....

Secondly about 50,000 people have it in the UK, seems a lot? Well if you think 50,000 out of 60 million in the UK, it actually works out about 0.001% of the population.... most of these cases are in gay men or immigrants from other countries... the cases of hetrosexual british to british intercourse is less than a thousand....
    Holy $hit Mark, we have a lot in common man.

But to the original poster, I honestly can say (if proof were needed) that I couldn`t have written the above any better. Its very rare than you can get accurate information on HIV without trawling through pageloads of absolute tosh and scaremongering.
    Try and get the whole HIV thing from your mind. You don`t have HIV mate.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJames3 View Post
    That kind of thinking leads to a whole world of trouble. Plenty of straight people, who have had very few partners, have contracted HIV. I don't say that to scare anyone who might be phobic of it. Sure, your chances rise if you're sleeping with hookers, but not doing so doesn't make you safe. The whole "gay sex" factor has a lot more to do with it being easier to catch through anal sex than it does sexual preference.

Easiest thing to do if you aren't sure of someone sexual history is just to use a condom !

Quote Originally Posted by MandySlade View Post
    That kind of thinking leads to a whole world of trouble.
    With who?

Plenty of straight people, who have had very few partners, have contracted HIV.
    In comparison to gay men, no they haven`t.

Sure, your chances rise if you're sleeping with hookers, but not doing so doesn't make you safe.
    From HIV, relatively and statistically speaking yes it does.

The whole "gay sex" factor has a lot more to do with it being easier to catch through anal sex than it does sexual preference.
    Total contradiction

HIV and internet fiction go hand in hand. It still amazes me that even professional health authorities still offer incorrect information regarding HIV. Yes, your right HIV is contracted easier some ways.
    The guy in question had unprotected sex with a girl a couple of times. I mean, the way people talk its like starting a family is like laying your life on the line.
    Even supposing she was extremely promiscuous the odds of her having HIV is very very low and for him to get it even if she had it is very unlikely as well.
    On average one woman in 1000 in western European countries are HIV+. The odds of contracting the virus from one act of unprotected insertive penetrative sex is 1 in 1000. Do the maths. 1000x1000.
    Its a million to one shot you have HIV. Thats not to say other STDs aren`t possible but as far as HIV goes. Nope.
    As far as the Gay/straight odds goes, well here`s my take on it. Men who frequent gay bars and indulge in promiscuous sex are kidding themselves on if they think their risk is the same as the guy who`s having an affair with his neighbours wife.
    That not to say straight people are immune or risk free. They`re not. The risk just isn`t the same. Nowhere near it.

---------- Post added at 23:05 ---------- Previous post was at 23:04 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mikewales View Post
    Easiest thing to do if you aren't sure of someone sexual history is just to use a condom !
    .............and spot on.

Thread Information