Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Pregabalin - Waiting For Lift Off

Re: Pregabalin - Waiting For Lift Off

Hi everyone, just wanted to post a quick update.
    I have been on pregabalin for seven weeks now and feel I have reached a crossroads now. Last Wednesday the GP upped my dose to 300mg ( 2 x 150 mg). I expected to feel enhanced benefits such as other members have reported here. However I don't really feel any greater sense of calmness which was the main benefit I have noticed and helps me particularly with my social anxiety. However I have been going through a difficult time and have been quite depressed for the last few days. I know pregabalin is not an anti-depressant but many people seem to report improved mood as one of the positive effects of this medication. Maybe it's just a phase I am going through, I don't know.
    On the negative side, I do feel a bit spaced out at times and it's difficult to speak sometimes because of the "cotton wool" mouth which makes me sound like I've been drinking! Also my libido has taken a hit - sex drive heavily decreased. Just as well I'm sad and single!
    I recently weighed myself for the first time since I started pregabalin and was alarmed to discover that I had gained 6 pounds. I have been eating slightly more and I don't know if this is consequence of the pregabalin but it means I have to be very careful because I am overweight bordering on the obese right now - this depresses me.
    When I'm driving my reaction times are definitely a fraction slower but on the whole I drive better because I feel generally more relaxed.
    Iain, is it difficult to know how the sertraline affects you in conjunction with the pregabalin? On the whole seems like you're doing well though and I'm pleased to hear that.
    Extremx, glad you have had such a positive and immediate benefit when I know you were a bit apprehensive about taking pregabalin at first. Keep us posted on your progress.
    I have the option of increasing the dose to 450mg after 2 weeks on 300mg.
    Plenty for me to ponder.

I must admit I am beginning to feel anxious about taking pregabalin now and unsure whether I want to increase the dose next week or stop taking it altogether. I have woken this morning feeling dizzy, light headed and slightly sick. And I have to work all day as a carer, have meetings and have to drive later. I can barely function myself and yet I have to look after someone else (which I always manage to do to the very best of my ability).
    I will be dead by the end of the day.
    I should not have googled and read this site : http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=21723

Quote Originally Posted by robinbrum View Post
    I must admit I am beginning to feel anxious about taking pregabalin now and unsure whether I want to increase the dose next week or stop taking it altogether. I have woken this morning feeling dizzy, light headed and slightly sick. And I have to work all day as a carer, have meetings and have to drive later. I can barely function myself and yet I have to look after someone else (which I always manage to do to the very best of my ability).
    I should not have googled and read this site : http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=21723
    Oh my GOD. Not alot of positives mainly just negatives. But did notice one thing most of the people had been on it for 1+ years and don't think i noticed any being treated for anxiety (must admit only had a quick look).

I would make a guess and say that most of the people who posted on that site are on more that one medacation for treating fibro. And that may have something to do with all the negatives also notice a few taking about hair loss (well that happens anyway).

Hopefully your will not be on it for to long as most doctors i have spoken to talk about a 6 month-1 year for medication for GAD/anxiety to hopefully help recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by robinbrum View Post

Hi Rob,

Sorry to hear you're not feeling great.

How long have you been feeling like this ? I have to say, it sounds rather familiar - i had a week or so of feeling like that once I was on 225mg. Sleep was the only escape for me.. If you are sure that the way you are feeling is down to the drug, and not another anxiety 'blip', I would suggest not increasing it just yet, and see if the effects pass after another week.

Take a couple of days off sick if you can, and try (!) to relax. If it doesn't pass after a week go back to your docs. If you get worse, go back earlier....

I think the best way to deal with those sites is to search for something you know is used by millions, if not billions of people. For instance, Motrin has some interesting responses :

http://www.askapatient.com/viewratin...63&name=MOTRIN

Motrin is a trade name for..... Ibuprofen.

HTH

Iain

Good point Iain, we take for granted something as commonplace as ibuprofen can act in all sorts of weird and wonderful ways - just like any drug really.
    I think maybe it was a blip with the pregabalin as yesterday I felt fine. I made an effort though to keep real busy and visited my gym a couple of times...it seemed to help, I don't know why.
    Odd how my "bad day" always seems to fall on a Tuesday...
    As for the pregabalin, I will keep taking it at 300 mg for the next week, with the option of increasing it to 450mg next Wednesday. I'm already on a relatively high dose but I seem to have such a high tolerance for most medication.
    I'm still finding it hard to judge just how effective it is but I will certainly give it longer.
    The weight gain though, is a real concern.

Now 9 weeks on pregabalin, 12 days since the GP increased the dose to 300mg...it is making a difference, I am noticeably calmer and the physical symptoms associated with anxiety and panic attacks are greatly diminished. I find myself asking, why don't I feel like I normally would in this situation...because I'm taking pregabalin, evidently. It has greatly helped my social anxiety, no doubt about it.
    I've always found anxiety and depression hard to separate as emotions and was not sure whether or not the depression was the cause of anxiety or vice versa. Pregabalin has not changed my general happiness, not directly although I don't feel as low because I know I don't feel so anxious anymore...if that makes sense. However I still have experienced some very black moods lately which leads me wondering how I can tackle this as well as the anxiety.
    I will be increasing the dose to 450mg this coming week, as approved by my GP. I just want to see if it improves things further. I will reduce the dose if I feel an increase in tiredness and if it continues to cause weight gain.
    Hope everyone else is doing well.

Hiya robinbrum. Well I am now in my 3rd week wa due to increase to 75mg twice aday at the start of week 2 but had a sinus infection so was antibiotics for 7days my doctor told me to wait before increasing.

Today is my first day of 150mg and must say have notice no side effects on the 75mg or at the moment on 150mg.

I think my sleepness nights and high pulse rate in the first week were due to my sinus infection (but thats to be gone).

I am thinking of starting a slimfast diet to counter act the possible weight gain as i am well over weight as it is (but i am how to say well built like a brick poop house) LOL.

Pleased to hear you are finding it effective, But hopefully you can get over the black moods (god help me if i get them as i have a very short fuse and massive temper).

xtremx

Hi Rob,

(BTW is it Rob - in - brum, or Robin - brum !?)

Its encouraging to hear that it has finally started to kick in, given the disappointment you've had so far.

I think some people who start off on a higher dose experience a bit of euphoria for the first couple of days (I certainly did), which seems to give one a huge dollop of optimism. Maybe this is why people say that it lifts mood.... Perhaps it does, if only at the beginning. By starting off slowly, maybe you missed out?

In my case, the optimism subsided and I was left with was a reduced background anxiety. Things are definitely better, but there is still some way to go. Things don't feel quite as stable as they did - before, I was either anxious, or I wasn't, there wasn't one situation or event that made things worse.

Since I started on the pregab, I can be relaxed and happy for a bit, but certain subjects (some of which aren't really that stressful) bring about a big wave of apprehension and then the anx is back. To put a positive spin on it, at least now I can identify potential triggers, because before I couldn't.

So I've got some things to work on.

Hope you mood starts to improve too now that the anxiety is starting to lift.

Cheers,

Iain

Hi all,
    Xtremx, glad to hear from another "big guy", oddly though you seem to find the pregabalin working for you at a much lower dose than I've been on. Maybe size and medication is a myth that I've believed all these years, I don't know.
    Did you say you'd been off booze for a year? Congratulations. I have cut down drastically - I had to - but I still have a drink about once a week, only difference is I don't go mad anymore - probably not a good idea anyway when combined with pregabalin.
    I have short bursts of very intense anger but I rarely express it to anyone else as I hate losing my temper - that cause me anxiety in itself. This happens a great deal when I'm driving.
    Iain, what dose are you on right now? Has the GP ever suggested increasing it? And would you want to?
    It's good you can spot the triggers for your anxiety and I guess that helps to deal with it.
    Would you say, on the whole you're still benefiting from pregabalin then? Any unpleasant side-effects?
    Oh and name's Rob (Robert, which no one calls me) and I live in Birmingham - hence the name!

Hiya robinbrum.

I think what is happening for me is I am helping things along with going into using pregablin with a postive frame of mind after reading your posts has help me get into the feeling that this will work. Also my local mental health team has told me that is it works for my anxiety/panic disorder that they will tell my doctor to keep me on it or they will give it to me (even though they have dicharged me from the service they offer due to the progress i have made on my own).

And yes just over a year now with no booze had my last drink on the 2nd feb 2011,rushed into hospital on the 3rd, they thought it was a heart attack but was put down to a major panic attack (scared me so much gave the booze up straight away).

Used to drink like a fish all day every day (20-30 pints) done that for about 20 years.

I find that my temper like yours is short is short bursts but i find it hard to hide it. Lucky i dont drive. But i get pavement rave not road rage but thats a differerent story.

All the best chris

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information