Thread: Hyper-Awareness Of Ones Self / Body

Hyper-Awareness Of Ones Self / Body

**sigh** Two years later and I'm still struggling with this.
    At the moment it feels like I'm 24/7 aware of my thoughts and my movements to the point where im uncomfortable and anxious a LOT of the time. Throughout the day my arms and legs will feel detached and almost clumsy, whilst irritating it also seems to be perpetuating the constant release of adrenaline and I'll get these "awareness shocks" that really send a bolt of horrible nervous energy through my body several times a day. They often leave me in a real state of panic and I want to escape, but how? You can't run away from yourself!!

I often feel like just a pair of eyes and find it mind blowing that I'm in control of my body! It's just strange. Some kind of existential crisis I guess?

Any tips how to alleviate this and and to stop living in my head and monitoring every thought and every movement?
    It's been two years since this nonsense started and I'm worried I've accidentally trained my brain to be so introspective that I might not be able to reverse it.

I'm considering trying some sort of medication to see if I can break the cycle - but worried it might prove useless or perhaps even exacerbate the problem.

Any feedback greatly appreciated and I hope everyone's had a great Christmas.

Re: Hyper-Awareness Of Ones Self / Body

I get this. A lot of people sad its depersonalization. Its where you feel detached and on auto pilot.

Distraction is good and so is eating healthy and exercise x

http://beginnersbeauty.com/
    My Blog =)

>>> UPDATED!!!!! www.anxietyforteens.weebly.com<<<

Recovered from Panic attacks , now recovering from Anxiety - nearly there!

I have observed that when I start to panic because I am feeling hyper aware of myself what has helped even more than just distracting myself with objects or activities is to try to become fully engrossed in another person in a conversation or in some interaction. In a sense you lose yourself by focusing on the other person, and by doing this you get outside of yourself or your mind, and you are not focusing on your thoughts and the related panic. I am a psychologist but have also personally experienced panic attacks and have found that this approach to be most helpful.

I have shocks of awareness sometimes too. Oddly, mindfulness can be the way forward. Anxiety detaches you from the physical and mindfulness reunites you with it. You are experiencing some derealization in there too. Treat it with amusement and not fear, turn it around and be in power.

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Thread Information