Thread: need advice

need advice

I am having a conflict, and I thought you all may be able to provide some insight. I have had panic attacks and anxiety actively for about two years now. At one point, I was basically agoraphbic. Luckily, that is no longer the case. I go out and do the things I need to do... However, I still have a lot of internal anxiety. When I get sick with just a cold, I often freak out that it is some sort of disease. Lets just say, I have some bad days still. I am managing... but I do still feel a lot of anxiety. So, my question is, should I take an antidepressant? I have been avoiding it, because I HATE taking medication. But, now I wonder if I could totally eliminate this extra anxiety by taking medication? How do we decide if medication is appropriate? I am doing a million times better than I was doing, but I still feel a lot of anxiety in certain situations. What do you all think?

I suffer from more anxiety than panic now and I am trying to control it and understand it and not let it take over.

Perhaps before trying medication you could try relaxation and exercise and diet changes.

Nicola

thanx for the reply nic.

yeah I have been trying to relax, and basically just chill. For the most part, I am okay. But there are still some days where my anxiety is just totally out of control. Someone told me that I should take medication just to balance out my brain chemicals, and then wean myself off of it. What do you think about that? Do some people need medication to get their brains back to normal?

Heidi

I feel the same. have just started 10mg citalopram but want to be off it as quickly as possible as I hate meds. But of it helps to get me in a position where I can be more in control then I'll give it a go

Take care
    Daisybun

'This too will pass'

I think medication should only be prescribed when anxiety or depression does have your life out of control. I suffer from anxiety and ocd and I am on medication. It has truly helped me. I have heard that it can be a chemical imbalance in the brain. What did you do to cure yourself of the agoraphobia? Well done on that! Have you tried any counseling? I think it is a personal decision between you and your doctor. Try talking it over with him or her.

Bel

I worked through panic attacks and agoraphobia without meds, but still had a general feeling of doom and foreboding hanging over me on most days. Eventually, after refusing all meds I went on them (Citalopram) and they really helped me. I have been on them for a very long time now and although I still get 'bouts' of anxiety, I am much more content on a day to day level. I think they have just helped to eleviate my general anxiety.

Thread Information