Thread: Is taking medication a good thing?........

Is taking medication a good thing?........

......Or does it just store up problems for later. My view is that meds are good but only if used for a short period of time. I have been on some meds for 3 or more years and I find they now have little effect on me. My worry is that eventually there will come a stage that I will have to take handfulls of meds a day and this cannot be good for you. If I was strong willed I would love to quit all meds and try alternative methods, but I feel I have put up with this crap for so long, I deserve the psycological and physical relief my meds give me (for now) whether it's good in the long run or not. Like, whats the point of being off meds if ur gona struggle through every day?
    Anyone any opinions?

Meds help a lot of people but they can mask the problems/issues so whilst on them it helps to start making steps to change things in your life that will help when and if you decide to come off them.

Personally I wasn't happy being on them as I felt that "I wasn't really me" if that makes sense.

I guess I decided to do it the hard way but I am happy that I did as I didn't want to be on meds longterm because of the fact that they are quite powerful drugs.

Nicola

Hi,
    I reckon it depends on your own individual problems, in severe depression that is caused by chemical imbalances then yes or if it is really needed to take the edge of panic or anxiety then its needed.
    Sometimes though i think meds are prescribed and they mask other underlying problems that could be or need to be rather sorted out with therapy,otherwise these problems could just arise again when off the meds.
    Personally medication hasnt worked for me and ive tried a few,i need to work on what really gets me down and change my negative thinking habits!!...Is very difficult but hoping to get there eventually!

I know though that meds have helped some greatly and definatly needed in some cases. I suppose it depends greatly on your own individual issues.
    Good luck
    Take care xx

Hi
    I think it is different for every person. Meds can take you to a point where you are strong enough to start taking steps to change your diet, start exercising, tackle negative thoughts etc so that when you come off meds the anxiety won't return. I think its important to do this if you are taking meds otherwise like Purplerain says, they are just masking the problem.
    Take Care
    Love Helen

Hi,

I agree with purplerain and helen, it all depends on the person and whats wrong with them. I've been offered meds and won't take them, i don't want the side effects and have two young children to care for, so i don't want to risk any effects, if there was any. I've tried exercise and a good diet and it helped me tremendously, but you have to keep at it to see the effects (i did for a while then slipped back into bad habits!!!)

Everyone is different though, my sister is currently suffering from post-natal depression and she has to take meds because its a chemical imbalance, and she needs the tablets to help her.

I'm just going to keep at it, i'm getting there slowly, but will not go down that road of having to take pills. (too scared)

Take care.

Marie XXX

hi ive been on prozac for about 9 weeks i was started on a 20mg dose then last week my therapist doubled my dose i dont know if im doing the right thing or not but ive tried hypnotherapy and cbt this is my last resort

Hi

I would agree that perhaps taking a holistic view of your emotional health is the best way. This can be tailored to individual need. I have taken medication and it's done me no end of good, however I am aware now that I am coming off them that i need to pay attention to lifestyle factors, ie diet, exercise, regular relaxation and have to take stock of things that are not good for me.

Unfortunately it's a bit of a lottery when it comes to medication - it doesn't work for everyone but when it does work it's nothing short of miraculous!

Only you will know what works best for you.

Regards,

Kate

I agree with the others. I tried seroxat but it had effect on me although some people would swear by it.
    Hope you decide what the best thing is for you to do...

Hia
    i totally agree it depends on the individual and it also depends on the reason ie-chemical imbalance then yes .I used medication the 1st tiem round but found my panic attacks came back after i stopped taking them the meds were just masking the underlying problems and so this time around i am waiting to go through the therapy and wont go on any meds because i feel doped up and not me on them if you can understand that.It also depends on the persons circumstances and how they can deal with it at the time aswell......good luck whichever route you decide is best for you

Gotta agree with what people have said. i had meds 4 years ago and they helped get me positive again and i came off them very quickly, however, the underlying fear and anxiety were still there and not dealt with so symptoms have returned. i tried citalopram again twice but didn't like it, took diazepam when it was so bad after my husbands accident but have stopped that now as i'm taking a herbal one and I want to do it naturally, it takes longer but i hope it will get to the root of the fear. Seeing a counsellor and some CBt is next on agenda. can't say its fun having panic but Claire Weeks book has helped lots, as has this forum.

Take care
    Daisybun

'This too will pass'

Thread Information