Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coming onto Mirtazapine

Re: Coming onto Mirtazapine

Hi Poet, just a quick update before I'm off out again. I'm on 15mg of Mirt at the moment, with 15mg Paroxetine too. I can understand what the doc said about messing round with doses, its not always a good idea. When I upped from 15mg Paroxetine is when my downward spiral started (although the minumum theraputic dose is 20mg, I'd been on 10mg for many years).

I've read that the lower the dose of Mirt, the more sedating it is, so I don't know how you'll sleep on 30mg cause I'm not taking that much. BUT I've experience no increase of mental side effects (i.e. the obsessing, depersonalisation, derealisation etc), that I had with Paroxetine within just one day of my first dose. If anything, the Mirt has had a very calming effect due to its slighlty sedating qualities and has not increased my anx at all.

Hi Lauz, thank you for the reassurance. I am realising more and more that I have a problem with needing constant reassurance and attention (possibly due to the learned helplessness and/or an innate sense of vulnerability). My best mate is on 30mg mirt, same as me, and has reported minor restlessness but noticeably improved sleep over the last 2-3 days. I'm hoping the calming effect of mirt will reduce the obsessive and racing thoughts. That has definitely been the worst aspect of this relapse and has ruined my quality of life.

So hopefully as CBT progresses and the mirt gets to work, things should turn around.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Hi Poet - I don't mean to doubt your doctor, but from my own experience and from reading posts here and other sites 15mg is the usual starting dose. 30 - 45 is considered a therapeutic dose, but as someone on here said some time back regarding this med, there doesn't seem to be a 'therapeutic dose' as some people seem to have been on 15mg for months and are doing very well.
    At the end of the day your GP knows you better than we do and may have a reason for starting you at that dose.

Anyway best of luck with it - I sincerely hope it helps you as it has helped others

Belle x

I'll cut my tablet in half for 2 weeks if that's safe.

Edit: will 30mg tire me out too much to go to work? Can anyone tell me if they've cut their pills in half when coming onto it or should I just take the 30mg? Most people here seem to be on 15mg, is there anything wrong with being on 30? Sorry I am just nervous before my first dose!
    Last edited by NoPoet; 13-01-12 at 18:51.

Hi PP,

When I first started mirtz, I was on 15mg for at least a fortnight. At first, even that zonked me out. I have to say that the start up side effects were not bad at all, when compared to SSRIs. The sedative effects lessened quite quickly once I got on to 30mg and the positive effects very soon after. This was far earlier than my experiances with SSRIs.

btw, I halved my 30mg for the first two weeks

Hope you soon start to see some improvement. I am now on Venlafaxine day4, a real rough ride to be honest. I really should be at home, but am finding that being at work tend to keep the intrusive thoughts at bay.

Thanks, my mate is on 30mg but he is out of work, so i'll start at 15mg for 2 weeks and see how I go. My therapist asked me to start a mood diary today and rate my happiness, sadness and anxiety at least 3 times a day. We're also gonna use it to chart my progress on the new meds.

Hi, took my first dose last night and within the hour I could barely walk, I was dizzy and started nearly falling asleep but although it freaked me slightly I just went to bed and slept for over 9 hours. I cut the tablet in half and had 15mg. I take it this is a normal 1st reaction?

I woke feeling ok but my best mate upset me with a text telling me I have gone from someone who always used to do stuff with him to someone who only texts him about tablets and therapy. In my defence my shifts at work changed 2 months ago and they're a nightmare, plus I had the blip in December, it's been Christmas, I got a new girlfriend and my best mate usually cries off when I am supposed to be going round.

It is fairly easy to see why I relapsed. Everyone else at work is very unhappy there. Because my average shift is 12.30-8.30 I don't get a day and sitting at home waiting for work simply roasts me in anticipation anxiety. It's no wonder I sometimes feel low or depressed!

Hi Poet
    Is this the mate who is also on meds? If so, remember that we all get those thoughts and feelings about being abandoned and alone. He is possibly feeling that way today. Why not ring him and tell him how his text made you feel? it's good to have friends so cherish them even when they are feeling a bit mardy.
    Good luck with the new meds.
    xx

Hi Mirabelle, thank you. My mate does indeed have his issues and I get so self-absorbed I always ignore him. He's starting a new job on mon so I'll make sure to keep encouraging him. I've made a diagram for my therapist which appears to map out my issues without any exclusions. I will try to post it on NMP to see if anyone gets any benefit from it; it's quite well thought out.

Well day one on the meds, feeling pleasantly spacey and tired and pleased with my epic sleep. Hopefully I will be a lot more comfortable on this stuff than expected.

Hi Poet,

I take mirtazipine...I went onto this after being on cit for a number of years. It is the best ad I have taken too. I take it along side pregabalin for general anxiety.

The best starting dose is 15mg and it is good that you have decided to start on this...sometimes gp's dont know enough about the side effects etc and that why this forum is so usefull.

I felt exactly as you do so it is quite natural...this should get better over the next couple of weeks.

I wish you well with the meds and hope that you will feel the benefit as much as I have as it totally turned my life around.

Take care
    Jo.x

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information