Thread: Is trying supplements against anxiety and depression good or bad?

Is trying supplements against anxiety and depression good or bad?

I was thinking about trying supplements against depression and there are a few ones which sound interesting like L-Theanine, 5-HTP, Sam-E, Inositol.
    But the thing is that in contrast to drugs they do not have a leaflet which tellls you all possible side effects and drug interactions. I'd rather take something which can have a few side effects and where I at least know which side effects exist and what interactions with other drugs exist than to take a supplement and then have no clue what might happen or if it could be combined with drugs or not. This is a huge disadvantage.
    For example what do I do if I try a supplement which really seems to work but then I also a tranquilizer or something else? Then who could tell me if I can take a tranquilizer or not because it could interfere with the supplement?
    Usually doctors don't know much about supplements and probably also couldn't tell if a supplement could be combined with a benzo or SSRI.
    Even if I found a supplement which really worked then it would still worry me if I did not know what would happen in a situation where I needed to take a benzo against acute anxiety or another drug like a betablocker or an antibiotic. Just because something is sold as supplement doesn't mean it's safe and has no interactions or side effects. :(

Re: Is trying supplements against anxiety and depression good or bad?

Personally I think it's good, I'm a big believer in non-pharmaceuticals helping.

But you're right, it's up to you to educate yourself about possible interactions, so you might have to do a lot of research on the web. Or if you have a good independent local health store with qualified staff (we have a great one locally) they should be able to fill you in during a brief chat.

I just looked at the wiki page for St John's Wort and it actually seems quite good on interactions, though I'd still check other web pages personally:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_John%27s_wort

Some things are obvious - e.g. relaxants like Valerian ("nature's valium") will make you drowsier if you take other sedatives.

If you're interested in 5-HTP it might be worth looking at the difference between that and Tryptophan.

---------- Post added at 19:26 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

I suppose if taking supplements is going to be a source of anxiety in itself you could firstly look to see if lifestyle changes are possible (diet, getting more exercise, fresh air and sunlight, etc) or could narrow supplements down to those which shouldn't have any sort of interaction at all (herbal teas, rescue remedy, I take Epsom salt baths which boost your magnesium).

One of the more worrying interactions I've come across is 'serotonin syndrome' - easily avoided if you research.

I think it's shocking doctors don't know more about these kinds of interactions, but then again most of the ones I've encountered seem to understand little enough about many medicines they actually will prescribe you

Basically I've taken responsibility for my own health by researching medicines as fully as I can. That way the doctors are my advisers (and prescribers of course) but I make the final decisions, make suggestions to them etc.

On the other hand, if I had a GP I had 100% faith in, who also knew about supplements, it'd save me a lot of time, effort, and brain space

I just found that the site I use for drug interactions also includes herbal supplements and over the counter medicines - very useful!

http://reference.medscape.com/drug-interactionchecker

I see on Google there's also one on drugs.com but have never looked at it. There are others too

I have been taking 5 HTP for about 5 weeks and have noticed improvement...but just recently. I also take L-Taurine . Whether it is the placebo effect or not, I feel better, no question. I think they cant do you any real harm, only good. It seems to be a relatively new way to tackle depression/anxiety and has certainly helped many others. Good luck!!

I took 5-htp but be careful as I started taking it when I was still on AD's and had a reaction

its a good thing but you have to check theres no interaction with prescribed meds, don't expect pharmacists to like it though, they generally don't believe in it.

I have tried most of these supplements and found them completely ineffective. I know some people say they work but they are not subject to the same kind of testing that you will find with conventional drugs. In that sense they are a bit of a law unto themselves and I would treat them with caution.

I take 100 mg of B complex, magnesium, plenty of fish oil. I also take a high potency D vitamin.

I still have anxiety but I think these help.

I'll just offer the following advice

If your taking supplements dont take too many at once, IMO they will all cancel eachother out if you do

At once point I was taking at least 2 or 3 of - Rhodiola, B6 complex, Vit C, Garlic pills, Magnesium and some Homeopathic stuff at the same time and felt awful, stopped didnt take anything for a week and felt much better for it

My advice would be to just try one thing at a time, and if you must take more than 1 thing dont take them at the same time

No ideas on interaction with prescription stuff as I've never took any

Thread Information