Thread: Got a call back from my gp, please advice!

Got a call back from my gp, please advice!

Hi all, I am extremely anxious right now after I got a call from my gp!

The thyroid test result came in and she said that eveerything in ok!

I mentioned that I have been having side effects from the flouxetine she prescribed, the shakes and the heightened anxiety! Well guess what, she advised me to stop the med! I reasoned to her that I believe that they were just side effects and I am willing to wait out another week for it to work! She said that flouxetine shouldnt have those side effects on me, and suggested I see a psych! She provided a number for the dept. of mental health and said they would see me without charge since I dont have any insurance! She told me that I might need a mood stabilizer which only a psych can prescribe, and she mentioned that she suspects I am bipolar!!!! Oh good God, I know myself better, I am not depressed, I have severe health anxiety and that is my problem!!! I dont have the extreme highs and lows, but I am sometimes sad that this anxiety has robbed me so much! She called while I am in the middle of my lunch, and now I cant take a bite because Im shaken so much!

Reading from the posts here of people on their floux journey, I thought I am on the right track! My hopes were shattered! What do I do???

Re: Got a call back from my gp, please advice!

In this instance, I would keep taking the meds'. But I would definitely get a face-to-face appointment asap. Let them know there was no way you could stop the medication without first having a face-to-face consultaion.

Hope this helps, Vince

I'm sorry to hear that! I actually had a similar thing happen where I suddenly felt very depressed and like I might burst into tears at any moment (I didn't have a problem with depression before the meds). This was around a week into taking the prozac. I called the doctor and they recommended not taking it anymore, but when I woke up the next day I felt better and decided to trudge on. Of course this is just my own experience, and yours may be different! I definitely agree with have a face-to-face appointment. Good luck!

Hi Naro - how unprofessional of your GP to tell you all this over the phone. The symptoms you have (I am no Dr!) are all part of the side effects of Prozac - you are not bipolar - enough to worry anybody! You must get a face to face consultation - preferably with another GP in the practice. Try not to worry - things will get better. I am day 5 and very tearful this morning and been waking up with the churning stomach! Good Luck - Laura x

omg i had those symptoms and now 10 weeks later the fluoxetine is working....the only lingering side effects are insomnia and night sweats....I am ALOT calmer and have not had a panic attack in about 6 weeks
    I wouldnt stop the fluoxetine yet......I didnt start feeling myself until 4-6 weeks and I still have the odd bad day,usually followed by a few good days
    there is light at the end of the tunnel x

Thank you all!

Im still shaken..

After that call I went to another GP, laid out my circumstance. He was sympathetic and all ears, but he's old and very traditional. He also suggested for me to stop the floux, and just take the xanax when needed. He said my problem is just all fears and it's only I who can help myself! That is to change my mindset, keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with me!!!! If only that simple!!! He prescribed me Ambien to help with my insomnia and adviced to see him again after 2wks!

I might see a psych next week! Dear God this is so hard! I even prayed for God to take my life, but pls not my sanity!

There is a family doctor who's a member of our church, I wanna hear what he says about this! Need 3rd or 4th opinion if i can have it!

Hi Naro,

I had a similar experience when I started taking Citalopram last year, it was the first time that I was ever on AD's and I had a terrible experience. I called my Dr and they said the same as yours, to quit as I shouldn't be feelin that bad on them. I decided to carry on as the forum here was helping me and making me fight against the side effects. A week later, I got an itchy rash on my hands and was told that it could be an allergy so I had to stop. Somehow I got strength from my week on Cit through the worst anxiety I've had to think that I can overcome my anxiety without the meds.

Now, I am back on the Floux for my anxiety and I am staying clear from the Dr as I know that the easy answer would be to stop the tablets if I go and tell them about my heightened anxiety. It is difficult but hang on in there if you can. These tablets are to give us the confidence to battle our anxieties and not let them win. I believe the tablets will start working properly soon. Remember, the Dr is not a mental health practitioner and they probably don't even understand that Floux effects everyone differently.

Milk xx

to be honest I think the fluoxetine has given me the motivation just to get up in the mornings.....I feel like I have more purpose in life....Im also taking Nytol and had a good nights sleep last night.
    Only when your body is totally rested,can your mind begin to calm down.The heightened anxiety makes the body rigid and you fight sleep,even though you crave it.....
    I really think sleep has alot to answer for....get this sorted and you will begin to feel calmer.

That is so true sickandtired!!!

I went to see my GP for a meds review this week, am on day 16. I went through that I had a headache most days, tired, can't concentrate and could sleep on a cheese wire!!! He said that was natural to feel like that as it is the meds going into my system. He said with SSRI's they will help restore the chemical imbalance in the brain to stop the anxiety and excessive thoughts/worries.

I also have palpititations and he said it was a SE and it will take time for the meds to work. Everyone is different and depends on the severity of our symptoms. We need to take them for 9 months + in order for our system to be restored.

I hardly have the intrusive worrying thoughts that I did have and don't seem to be overanalysing everything like I use too, I do feel more relaxed, although I could sleep for England!!! I nearly fell asleep today in my office at my desk

I am taking each day as it comes, I still get a few blips but feel calmer and happier even though I just want to sleep all the time atm!!!!!

---------- Post added at 20:50 ---------- Previous post was at 20:45 ----------

I forgot to add that my GP sent me to the hospital to have every blood test going and it has come back that I have a B12 deficiency. So got to have injections for the rest of my life.

That's fine as in a strange twist of fate, had I not been in my panic attacked state then he would not have asked for the test and it may have delevloped into pernicious anaemia.

So one positive has come from my anxiety, also B12 deficiency can cause anxiety so maybe that is a contributing factor to my condition.

Mcched - it's funny about your B12 deficiency as I recently had blood tests and have a folate deficiency (althoug my B12 is fine), so I'm now on folic acid (a higher than normal dose I'm advised by both my GP and the pharmacist).

Deficiencies in both B12 and folate are believed to be linked to anxiety/depression, although they don't always know what comes first with a folate deficiency. I'm at least hopeful that the folic acid will help with my anxiety and depression as folate is very important for carrying/routing the seratonin in the brain (so I've read).

Thread Information