Thread: Sleeping?

Sleeping?

I'm having issues staying asleep, and falling asleep. I'm keyed up quite a lot of the time now and worrying quite a bit but it seems as soon as my head hits the pillow it starts racing and after I eventually fall asleep I wake up about 5 hours later from something like a tiny noise or something and then I spend the next few hours tossing and turning and trying to relax. My boyfriend said I was asleep for a couple hours during this tossing and turning though it was probably not deep enough because it didn't feel like sleep and I remember waking up or being awake, but he said I was because I was snoring/breathing deeply. Anyway this is new to me because I used to sleep ridiculous amounts when I was on meds and even prior to that. I got some Valerian liquid stuff that says to take in certain amount of drops - I assume in water, but I'm a bit worried about taking it because of possible side effects and reactions and stuff. I really should just try it though. Does it help anyone and what else would you recommend to help you get to sleep?

If i can't sleep, I'll get up and have a warm milky drink, try and relax, put on some soothing music, use some lavendar oil on my pillow, I also have an aromatherapy pulse point gel that helps aid sleep. Valerian is a natural herb, don't know of a ny side effects.

Take care
    Daisybun

'This too will pass'

I've not had any trouble with Valerian.

I think the key is to unwind before you try and go to sleep. Maybe some music or a bath.

I know it can be a viscious circle when you don't sleep properly. At one point I was on Prozac and I had horrendous headaches. I'd be working 6am- 2 pm shifts and I couldn't sleep the night before, then I'd get a couple of hours in the afternoon if I was lucky. One week I couldn't sllep at all and I started worrying about hallucinating, going mad or dying from exhaustion.

I now work 2pm -10 pm shifts, which aren't much better because almost as soon as I come home I have to go to bed and I'm still really tense from my day at work.

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

If I can't get to sleep, or wake in the middle of the night and canniot get back off, I get up an make a cup of tea, have some toast and listen to the nightime DJ.

It usually helps

Ray
    http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Thanks guys. Last night was exhausting. I forced myself to stay in bed for most of it but I didn't sleep a wink. Mind kept racing, kept up with the anxiousness and whatnot. I feel awful right now .. don't have any work to go to so basically I gotta find something to keep my mind on.

I am not used to it and yeah I am worried it will make me more mad... bleh.

Hello
    I always have a cd of relaxing music by my bed which I play before I go to sleep and stick on when I wake up in the night. Even if I don't get back to sleep it helps keep me relaxed. I've not tried valerian, but have heard its very good.
    Love Helen

Hi, what you need to focus on is to act like you work a normal shift. When you get home at 10pm you should be having your tea, chilling out, having a bath. It doesn't matter that you don't sleep regular hours like 10pm til 8am like a normal shift worker does because you can have a lie in. Your body clock needs to sort itself out and get accustomed to the hours you work. I know this because my mum worked 2-10. I used to go mad at her when I lived at home because she'd be watching the TV at 2am in the morning & we lived in a bungalow so I could hear it. She explained this theory to me & I just swapped bedrooms with my sister cos she could sleep through a hurricane lol!! Don't go to bed until you are tired, its pointless lying there willing yourself to go to sleep & just remember that you don't have to get up early. You should be having your breakfast at dinner time & eating your tea at supper time, to revolve around your shift.

Hope you soon get it sorted.

Les, xx

My current "shift" is (or was) sleeping around 3-4 a.m. and waking up at 11 a.m. or 12 p.m. I went to bed at my regular time, and it didn't work, so I'm not really sure I understand what you're saying. I don't have a job right now either.

I also usually have some warm milk before bed.. I think I will try this down time thing.

Thread Information