Thread: Sun bed and seratonin

Sun bed and seratonin

Does anyone use a sun bed and is it possible they can raise seretonin levels at all?

Re: Sun bed and seratonin

I thought it was exposure to light that could help serotonin levels, as in use of a SAD light, rather than a sunbed (which is UV light, so wouldn't this just help raise vitamin D levels?).

I dont know really...im trying to think of ideas of raising serotonin levels without exercise lol

Wrong sort of light - SAD box is what you need

thankyou laura48 x

The sun bed will just give you cancer so don't use that lol

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Yes Sunbed very dangerous it does cause skin cancers,eat well balanced diet plenty fruit.
    Petra x

Yeah I'd avoid a sunbed because of the possible risks but also because I have pale skin (freckle chick) and sunburn easily, I'd possibly end up wanting to kick it after ending up red rather than with a tan.

I agree with earlier comments that sunbeds are not a good idea but I do use a sad light and it does help me with my energy levels. If I miss using it for a day or two I notice a dip in energy.
    I can't really comment on whether it helps my depression as I came off effexor just over 12 weeks ago and have been having a really bad time and although my depression is lifting I don't know if this would of happened over time anyway. I also use 5htp to raise my serotonin levels and notice a dip in mood if I stop taking it for a day.

If using a sad lamp it should be 10,000 lux to have any benefit and these lamps are not cheap so it is a bit of a risk buying one if you don't know if it will work but it could still be cheaper than the cost of using a sunbed long term. I think some places do hire them out if you wanted to try one.
    The one I use recommends using it for 20 to 30 minutes a day close up but I don't sit so close and use mine for 50 to 60 minutes a day.

Quote Originally Posted by erin31 View Post
    i agree with earlier comments that sunbeds are not a good idea but i do use a sad light and it does help me with my energy levels. If i miss using it for a day or two i notice a dip in energy.
    I can't really comment on whether it helps my depression as i came off effexor just over 12 weeks ago and have been having a really bad time and although my depression is lifting i don't know if this would of happened over time anyway. I also use 5htp to raise my serotonin levels and notice a dip in mood if i stop taking it for a day.

If using a sad lamp it should be 10,000 lux to have any benefit and these lamps are not cheap so it is a bit of a risk buying one if you don't know if it will work but it could still be cheaper than the cost of using a sunbed long term. I think some places do hire them out if you wanted to try one.
    The one i use recommends using it for 20 to 30 minutes a day close up but i don't sit so close and use mine for 50 to 60 minutes a day.

thankyou for that xx

Thread Information