Thread: Started fluoxetine..

Started fluoxetine..

Hi, I'm currently on day 4 of fluoxetine (20mg).
    No side effects yet and not feeling any different, when do people start feeling the side effects?
    I have major depression and have had it for about 3 years, started to lose hope and just wanted it all to end.. so, I gave in to medication. I Just hope I don't regret it!
    What were people's first weeks like on fluoxetine?

Bambi x

Re: Started fluoxetine..

Side effects usually kick in straight away from the first day so you may be lucky and not get any !! First couple of weeks are usually the trickiest.

Thanks for the reply, I spoke too soon haha.
    Today I started to feel really depressed, nauseous, unable to sleep and unable to eat.. hope it passes soon!

Ah yes, that would have been very lucky to have nothing at all. Nausea and stuff goes quickly I've found. If depression continues, see the doctor again, you don't want that. Best of luck x

Ah okay, thank you x

Bambi - I try to be positive about the side effects and think that if you get the side effects it means the drug is having some effect on your body, maybe they don't feel good to start with but it means it's doing something!! I tell myself that it will therefore work in the right way when the side effects have worn off, you have to ride the storm until the positive effects are felt Sometimes it is quite hard and I've found Diazepam and sleeping tablets help to reduce some to the anxiety related side effects, but nausea and inablilty to sleep wears off quickly - for me within 2 weeks, I hope you are able to stick with it as Prozac can be an excellent drug and can give you your life back. We all deserve happiness

Thank you, I will try and be more positive about it all.. I Just tend to panic and freak out haha.
    I'm trying not to see using medication as a mistake but those thoughts always creep up on me, I'll stick it out though! Hopefully I'll be smiling again soon (:

Thread Information