Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anxiety and alcohol

Unhappy Anxiety and alcohol

Do you guys drink, and how does it effect your anxiety? I'm on 20mg citalopram, been on and off them for 3 years now, and I know I shouldn't drink at all really, but I somehow find it difficult to not. I'm not an alcoholic, and I don't drink often, but I like to drink socially when I get the chance, but I suffer so much, it makes me feel anxious and down for days afterwards. I've sworn off alcohol a few times, but I just can't stick to it!

I know it's simple, I should just not drink, right?

Any opinions, suggestions?

Re: Anxiety and alcohol

Yes I am the same and I have decided not to drink for a while as it is not helping me as I am on my 7th week of taking sert and over easter I drank quite a bit and i have been so low so I know I cant drink too much well until they kick in. but not doing what I did last week far too much booze not good.

Cathy xx

Me too, my anxiety kicked off again big time at New Year when I had a bad hangover, it causes absolute havoc with me.
    Also after having a good week, I drank on Thursday night and woke up with anxiety again on Friday morning.
    I've decided not to drink AT ALL for a the next few months until I'm back on track.

Emms I drank wed thurs fri sat and sun. How bad is that?

I had my friend up from london wed thurs and fri then I went to my chaps for the weekend so drank then and it was like half a bottle of red wed thus fri them wine and lager sat and sun far too much I felt poo lol. So not having any for a while.

How are you doing on the prozac is it helping? I just couldnt take them had the worse anxiety and shaking a vomiting. I know they are very good.

Cathy xx

Hi,

I'm on venlafaxine and drink a bit at the weekends. I find that it's fine as long as I don't get dehydrated the next day - this is a sure-fire way for me to end up having an anxiety attack.

Pip x

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

If you suffer from anxiety or depression then booze is a BIG no no I'm afraid.

I used to be a big drinker and I fell for the whole "let's go out and get drunk" thing at the weekend and this week I am paying for it BIG STYLE.

As we all know, drink is a depressant. Everytime I drink, everytime I regret it the next few days.

I was booze free for a few months until this point so I'm going back on the wagon of sobriety as I always feel more happier and less stressed when drink isn't trying to come out of my system.

Avoid it folks, you'll feel much better for it!

Quote Originally Posted by cathycrumble View Post
    Emms I drank wed thurs fri sat and sun. How bad is that?

I had my friend up from london wed thurs and fri then I went to my chaps for the weekend so drank then and it was like half a bottle of red wed thus fri them wine and lager sat and sun far too much I felt poo lol. So not having any for a while.

How are you doing on the prozac is it helping? I just couldnt take them had the worse anxiety and shaking a vomiting. I know they are very good.

Cathy xx
    Hi Cathy x
    It's up and down at the moment. At 4 weeks now. Had one very good week then crashed at the weekend, so frustrating and upsetting. going to stick with it though, wait til 6 weeks the up the dose to 40mg if still not better. Never had this much trouble getting sorted on a med.
    Hope you are feeling ok now?

Mono,

For some people, what you've said is undoubtedly true. The most important thing is not to drink very often and not too much. I have 2 or 3 glasses of wine twice a week and it makes no difference to me at all. I certainly have a very relaxed evening and generally sleep better.

Everyone's different and knowing yourself and how things affect you is very important in keeping the anxiety at bay.

If alcohol has a negative effect, best to avoid it. Otherwise, moderation is the word. Just make sure the meds allow it!

Pip x

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Pipkin View Post
    Mono,

For some people, what you've said is undoubtedly true. The most important thing is not to drink very often and not too much. I have 2 or 3 glasses of wine twice a week and it makes no difference to me at all. I certainly have a very relaxed evening and generally sleep better.

Everyone's different and knowing yourself and how things affect you is very important in keeping the anxiety at bay.

If alcohol has a negative effect, best to avoid it. Otherwise, moderation is the word. Just make sure the meds allow it!

Pip x
    Completely agree Pip, a few glasses of wine a week is fine. It's the binge drinking every weekend that's bad news - and that's what I used to do.

Mono,

You're right, binge drinking is a real no no.

Pip x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information