Thread: anxiety/panic helped by meditation

anxiety/panic helped by meditation

Hello again

I have suffered gad and panic for many years . First panic attack was after heavy drinking at age 18 , im 55 now .
    Anyway its said that we get wiser with age and I wanted to share with you my experience with meditation and spiritual teachings, namely buddism . I have been a Christian all my life and still am but I have found something profoundly more comforting with the way that buddism works . I have only been practicing for 2 Months but already I am feeling much much better . I do not wish to preach,however I personally have always believed that my anxiety comes form too much thinking/worrying/analysing/judging/criticizing/.... on and on the list goes .
    For years ive had physical pain all over my body and I have recently learned that its been caused by my own mind causing an over stimulation of adrenalin , holding in muscles everywhere . Anyway i now know it all starts with one single negative thought which feeds another and another ( its a habit we dont know its going on UNTIL we look inside and watch ) . Something quite amazing happens when we " watch the thinker " we calm down our body lets go of some tension and with continued practice at " emptying the mind" of useless thinking
    we start to see the world more clearly , at least this is how its working for me , I am slowing everything down , my ribs dont hurt for the first time in years .
    I have tried a hundred different things to beat this horrible affliction and now believe I have found one that really works but I need to put the work in to get results . Letting go is the key ,letting go of attachment to too many negative things and thoughts , as I say I dont wish to preach as I really am just scratching the surface but i know this is what will free me from a lifetime of nervous suffering .

Thanks

Tom

Re: anxiety/panic helped by meditation

Good post Tom. From my own experiences I can agree with everything you say.

Hi Tom
    agree wholeheartedly............its taking time but the benefits are huge .
    snow x

This is great! Meditation is a good habit to get into! Keep at it!

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Likewise I'm another meditation convert, it changed my life too.

I started with (and recommend) "Mindful meditation" such as this one because that comes at it from a non-religious and scientific/medically proven background, as opposed to Buddhism (though it shares a great deal in terms of the actual meditation routines). It is also a structured course with a guided CD and the sessions are short at under 10 mins - I tried and failed at meditation before this either because I had no direction, or the meditations were too long and I feel asleep. This course helped me within just days by making me see how much anxiety/depression comes from thoughts that spiral out of control, and how to manage them.

As you (the OP) are into Buddhism, if you want some extra reading material I recommend this book which is a new rewrite of a very well regarded manual on the subject. It goes into various meditations in a very clear way with good tips on how to do them, taking mindful meditation another step further. I am currently working through this and delving into the Buddhist side too, as the mindfulness opened so many doors. I must have bought and thrown out dozens of books on this subject and related self-help and the above two are the best by far.

One thing that struck me about meditation - especially the mindfulness I linked to above - is how different it was to my expectations. I was expecting to learn how to just relax and switch off, but it was nothing like it. In fact the mindful meditation makes a point of concentrating on how your mind does wander, it is a brilliant way of being able to actually see how your mind works. What I guess I mean is so many friends/family have disregarded meditation as being too spiritual or "wooly" but this is nothing like it at all. But now a few months later they can see tangible improvements in the way I act - and how much happier I am.

Even when you go into the Buddhist side of this, there is absolutely no requirement to believe in religious things, the whole point is just to try some quite simple exercises and see for yourself what happens.

Above all, I think meditation does require some effort on our parts to do, and to stick with. It goes to prove that we do actually have to work on our issues and lives (rather than just take a tablet) but as a result the rewards are incredible - and real.

Thank you Ingenious,
    For your suggested read - 'Mindfull Meditation'.
    I have ordered it and will post back once I have put suggestions into practice.

thank you all and especially ingenious .
    I am so encouraged by your post and will buy the books you suggest . I do agree with what you say about not getting too religeousy involved which I dont intend doing but rather picking the parts that suit me and my situation IE I have no wish to buy orange robes quite yet but rather practice the meditation parts especially mindfulness and loving kindness. I know only too well how difficult it is to get your mind to go quiet when in acute turmoil . I am slowly but surely getting there with it though . We MUST set aside alone time for us to do this , even two x 10 minute periods a day work wonders ,its like stepping back from our thoughts which torment us and giving our mind a rest ,it feels wonderful . you tube has many good meditation chants and mantras to listen and/or visualise for free , i especially love om mani padme hum ( google it ). I given notice at work and changing jobs so naturly it is a stressful time but I am finding it more manageable by practicing meditation and good breathing techniqes .

Thanks once more

Tom

Thread Information