Thread: Coughing up blood! Please help!

Coughing up blood! Please help!

I've recently been through a month of health anxiety (stomach related) that in the past week was beginning to subside a bit. I had blood tests done to reassure me and they came back normal. I was even feeling my appetite creeping back, gradually (as lots of people on here told me it would!). Anyway, just when I was feeling slightly optimistic, I then coughed up some blood during my shower this morning. I have a vague cold and a really tickly cough that's making me cough quite hard. It was phlegm with bright red blood in. I freaked out of course, imagining that it must be lung cancer. I called the GP, she didn't seem concerned (I'm a 36 old non-smoker) but told me to come to the surgery so she could listen to my chest. My chest was clear and she said its a common symptom and is unlikely to be anything horrible. But I'm so scared now, and can't stop panicking. She said if it continues happening then I could have a chest x-ray, but a one-time event in isolation is not concerning. I also read on the nhs pages that coughing up blood is unlikely to be anything serious in people under 40, but I'm still going out of my mind with fear. Has anyone else experienced this??? Thanks in advance!

Re: Coughing up blood! Please help!

Yep, especially when I've been coughing a lot or if the air is dry.

Re: Coughing up blood! Please help!

Hi, iv been reading through your posts and I'm suffering with the same regarding the nausea and appetite and I'm really worried. I just don't feel like eating and if I have something it's only small and I'm feeling sick afterwards. I'm losing weight and feel like my clothes are hanging off me and iv had this dull ache in my upper right abdomen but had 2 ultrasounds and bloods done. Just can't think straight or convince myself it's just anxiety. I know how bad you've been feeling. Ps iv had a bit of blood in my flem in the past it's because of the coughing with a bit of a cold nothing to worry about.

Thread Information