Thread: Shame on the NHS

Shame on the NHS

My GP prescribed seroxat and then prozac to help with my anxiety. The prozac has helped to some extent but I am aware they are heavy on the liver which of course makes me worry about my liver!! I was referred for a mental health assessment and after two hours of answering very personal questions I was offered a chance to join an anxiety management group IN OCTOBER!! It seems the NHS is not geared up to cope with these mental health issues and we are therefore left to flounder. Does anyone know of any good therapists or groups to join the south wales area?

I don't know of any places in Wales I'm afraid, but I was in a similar situation. My GP referred me to the psychology dept at our local hospital and I felt like the psychologist who did my assessment just wanted me off the waiting list, she referred me to an OCD group (although I suffer severe GAD and am agoraphobic) – she was desperate to convince me I had OCD.
    I went back to my GP about this and she has told them that I require one to one CBT and that there is no way they should have suggested group therapy. Ask your GP to have a stern word with them.

Hi Kay,

I too have been in your situation. I couldn't stomach a wait on the NHS any longer and went private. The upside being that you may get better treatment if you have the funds. Shame on the NHS indeed.

I don't know what your issues are but would fix up a meeting with at least two therapists in your area. They should be able to advise on an appropriate type of treatment for you, advise of the cost and give a sense of timescale. You should also be able to judge to see how comfortable you feel with a therapist.

The BACP have an online directory here
    http://www.bacp.co.uk/

and the UKCP here
    http://www.psychotherapy.org.uk/index.html

The National Phobics Society also offer reduced rate therapy for their members in some areas - their site lists the towns and therapies offered.

Ray
    http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

K I'm in south Wales and I am seeing a counsellor through Mind. Have you tried them? Where in s wales are u? xxx

Thread Information