Thread: 40 mg citalopram

40 mg citalopram

Hi everyone,

Three weeks ago I was giving a increase in my dosage of citalopram to 40 mg for my depression,the first week of the increase was good and I felt better but the past two weeks have been a bit of a mixed bag. My depression has been there but more as background noise rather then at the forefront of my mind. I have had some drink over the past two weekends ( only at the weekend though ) and was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same sort of up and downs even taking ad's? Also I was wondering if anyone else questions there excistance and what there purpose is in this world/universe? I seem to think very deeply when I'm having a down time and constantly question the purpose of everything eg. Feelings,thoughts,emotions. This leaves me feeling very very depressed to think like this. I hope I'm not alone.

Thanks guys

Re: 40 mg citalopram

Hi gman

Sorry to read you are having a rough time, you are never alone with this.

It does take a while for an increase in Citalopram to take affect, I think when i increased mine it took around 4wks to notice the difference. If Cit has been helping you so far hopefully in a few weeks you will feel much more relaxed with less 'mind chatter'

Are you having talk therapy too, I'm sure that's what has helped me the most, being able to 'off load' all those thoughts you are having would be a great relief & allow you to understand them.

Take care

Hi - sorry you are having a rough time

I have been on Citalopram 20mg for 2 weeks and saw my psychiatrist who wants me to up to 40mg on Saturday so that will be 3 weeks on 20mg then 40mg. I haven't found any benefits as yet! but expecting that - just worry about the anxiety part - do not want it to get any worse.

The first week felt a little better but it has been a real rollercoaster ride since - so up and down - mainly down! and feel low and horrible on early morning waking. Needs a few more weeks yet to feel any real benefit - don't mind waiting as long as I come out smiling the other side!

Good luck anyway - he told me around 12 weeks for Pure OCD hence the high dose but normally 6 to 8 - that doesn't mean side effects - just to feel better.

---------- Post added at 16:24 ---------- Previous post was at 16:23 ----------

When we are like this it is normal to question our existence but this is normal thinking - it is negative - bound to be

Laura
    I would be tempted to break some 20mgs in half and take 30mg for a week, seems a little drastic to double straight away

Love Joy

Hi Joy

Did mention that could I do 30mg he said there was no point - I wouldn't know any difference? I will take 40mg and if I feel really bad will drop to 30mg!

Thanks for the reply guys, I currently go to private therapy every Wednesday and it really helps to offload these crazy thoughts. I've just woke up from a little knap there and I'm feeling desperately low and fearful. Acting normal becomes very tough like this, I really hope the medication kicks in soon so I can get back to living. Life seems a pointless struggle at the moment, I have been here before and managed to scramble my way out lets just hope I can do it again.

Hi - I have woken up from a snooze and feel worse than I did before - that seems to be happening a lot recently!

Hope you feel better soon

When I'm feeling good,thinking like I do when I'm depressed is practically impossible, it's incredible how your mind can change in the blink of an eye.

Hi - yes when you are well - you don't think like this - I was just thinking that. You get so wrapped up in yourself and listen in to how you are feeling but when well you do none of this - mind is very powerful!

Quote Originally Posted by Gman28 View Post
    Hi everyone,

Three weeks ago I was giving a increase in my dosage of citalopram to 40 mg for my depression,the first week of the increase was good and I felt better but the past two weeks have been a bit of a mixed bag. My depression has been there but more as background noise rather then at the forefront of my mind. I have had some drink over the past two weekends ( only at the weekend though ) and was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same sort of up and downs even taking ad's? Also I was wondering if anyone else questions there excistance and what there purpose is in this world/universe? I seem to think very deeply when I'm having a down time and constantly question the purpose of everything eg. Feelings,thoughts,emotions. This leaves me feeling very very depressed to think like this. I hope I'm not alone.

Thanks guys
    Ho yes I have experienced the same. You are not alone. When I was suffering from acute depression and panic crisis, my doc dediced not only to increase my dosage but also to switch me to another medication. I've found out that when you feel so bad you get really attached to a slight improvement of your pain and any changes in medication can bring you down because the old pain comes back a little before the new pills are starting to work. It is very normal. Don't worry about it. As for drinking with pills, one beer is ok.

Thread Information