Thread: cannot sleep on 20mg citalopram - will it get better?

cannot sleep on 20mg citalopram - will it get better?

Hi, I took 10mg citalopram for 10 days as instructed by my doctor, then upped to 20mg. Since then, I have been awake from 4.30 in the mornings and can't get to sleep at nights. My mind is racing and I can't relax at all. Have also been getting shaking attacks in the middle of the day and headaches. I took citalopram 5 years ago and don't remember these side effects. Will they get better or should I go back to 10 mg for a while longer first, or come off them altogether? Did anyone else have this and it went away? I can't deal with the sleeplessness as I already had sleeping problems before the medication, now it is even worse.

Re: cannot sleep on 20mg citalopram - will it get better?

Pollycat

I was axactly the same on 20mg but it just takes a little time for the new dose to get into your system then you will start to sleep more well that's what happened to me.

If you still have probs in the next week just speak to your GP about maybe about cutting the dose a bit till you get used to it.

Hope it gets better

Hi Rocker, thanks for the quick reply. How long did the sleeplessness last for you and did you stick to 20mg then go up to 40? I think I should start taking the medication in the mornings, judging from what other people in this forum, not at night. Maybe I will go back to 10mg for another week.

I started on 20mg but after a few days I had to goto 10mg 20mg was just a bit to strong at the start or me.

But on all doses sleeping does get better as it settles just give it a little time
    And I promise it will get better.

I am on 30mg now but it took me a while to get there I am still trying to find my right dose I have been only on them 6 months which is not long really.

I hope this helps you will be feeling fine soon.

Rocker

Hi all

i have gone from 10-20 and now on 30... take them in the mornings. The problem with sleeping has got a little worse whilst i have been upping the dose and now i have been on 30mg for about a month, still seem to be waking the odd time here and there in the night, but the sleep is getting better.

cheers

Thread Information