Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Magnesium and Anxiety

Magnesium and Anxiety

Hello all,

I was wondering if anybody here has had any success in treating anxiety with magensium?

Personally i found it to be the root of 90%+ of my anxiety problems and whilst everybody is different, i think it can help everyone with anxiety, at least to some extent and could probably "cure" many people.

A brief back story on myself, In late 2009 i was living in south america and after an extended period of not eating, i started to develop panic attacks. I had no idea what they were at the time so i thought i was either a) dying b) going insane or c) both!

I came back to the UK and had tests done and even saw a cardiologist at one point as i thought my heart was faulty. The tests come back all clear and my anxiety gets worse and worse and i end up getting citalopram by my GP. 4months of recovery later and i consider myself pretty much normal again. Anxiety still popped up occasionally, especially when i was travelling abroad but other than that i was fine. Fast forward to the start of this year and i come down with another attack like i did in south america, again, after an extended period of not eating that much. I get back to normal within a couple of weeks but the same thing happens around mid april, through not eating once again but this time i didn't really have a choice on the matter.

Anyway i'm pretty fed up at this point, i don't want to spend the rest of my life having to stuff my face to ward off the anxiety. After a bit of googling i fortunately stumble across the site that's linked in my signature. It's created by a man named George Eby who suffered repeated bouts of depression throughout his life and cured it with magnesium supplementation. The site goes into a lot of depth and it's worth a read in my opion.

he ran a study on the use of magnesium for mental health and here are a few case studies from it.

"A 59 y/o "hypomanic-depressive male", with a long history of treatable mild depression, developed anxiety, suicidal thoughts, and insomnia after a year of extreme personal stress and bad diet ("fast food"). Lithium and a number of antidepressants did nothing for him. 300mg magnesium glycinate (and later taurinate) was given with every meal. His sleep was immediately restored, and his anxiety and depression were greatly reduced, though he sometimes needed to wake up in the middle of the night to take a magnesium pill to keep his "feeling of wellness." A 500mg calcium pill would cause depression within one hour, extinguished by the ingestion of 400mg magnesium.

A 23 year-old woman with a previous traumatic brain injury became depressed after extreme stress with work, a diet of fast food, "constant noise," and poor academic performance. After one week of magnesium treatment, she became free of depression, and her short term memory and IQ returned.

A 35 year-old woman with a history of post-partum depression was pregnant with her fourth child. She took 200mg magnesium glycinate with each meal. She did not develop any complications of pregnancy and did not have depression with her fourth child, who was "healthy, full weight, and quiet."

A 40 year-old "irritable, anxious, extremely talkative, moderately depressed" smoking, alchohol-drinking, cocaine using male took 125mg magnesium taurinate at each meal and bedtime, and found his symptoms were gone within a week, and his cravings for tobacco, cocaine, and alcohol disappeared. His "ravenous appetite was supressed, and ... beneficial weight loss ensued.""
    from http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...nal-chill-pill

Anyway, i was just hoping to spread the word a little bit and maybe help a few people relieve some or all of their
    anxiety. Magnesium is also excellent for a good nights sleep.

A few important notes

- You MUST AVOID magnesium asparate and glutamate, these will make your mental health worse
    - be very careful to not take too much, you will get diarrhea at a certain point and this will cause your mental health to worsen

Summary

i cured my anxiety with magnesium supplementation. i recommend following the advice on the website and taking magnesium glycinate with taurine.

good luck

Re: Magnesium and Anxiety

Hi
    What a interesting post, i am considering taking magnesium
    but there's a few different types, I have magnesium citrate, would you
    recommend this
    Would love a chat with you on this subject if that's ok

Is anyone else taking magnesium and found it helps
    Manda

Hi Manda,

i used citrate for the first few weeks and it gave me diarrhea which made me even worse! I was taking high doses however (1500mg per day), it's very unlikely to give you any trouble at lower doses.

If i were you i'd start off at say 100-150mg a day then work yourself up from there. As soon as you start getting loose stools you know you've hit your bowel tolerance and you just need to take a little less.

feel free to pm me if you want to talk about it more.

Hi
    So glad you posted about magnesium, I've had a bottle
    sitting here for 2 months to scared to take( I know it's not good I seem to be scared of most meds etc at the moment) but hey guess what after your post I took
    my first one at 2 today, it says on the the bottle to take 2 daily and that gives 400 mgs
    you think that's ok
    How long did it take before you noticed it working
    Manda

Everybody is different and i don't really like giving advice on these matters as i am by no means qualified!

It's very unlikely that you'll have any problems and the only possible problem you could really have would be diarrhea, if that's the case take less tomorrow.

As far as how long it takes, i personally feel a difference about 90mins after i've taken one, but again everybody is different.

let me know how you get on.

I bit the bullet yesterday when I woke up feeling totally lousy. Could barely breathe, so tense, emotional, anxious....you know the drill. Took some magnesium and by mid afternoon I was showered, dressed and had been shopping with no panic attacks - that in itself is amazing as I have real problems with busy places.

Maybe psychological or it really does work that fast? Anyway, it was a good day yesterday. I take some more today and see how that goes

this is really interesting because about a hundred years ago I had some allergy testing and the tests also showed deficiencies and i was shown to be very deficient in magnesium. This was thought to be because I was then a vegan and magnesium uptake is associated with calcium. So for a few years I did take supplements of calcium and magnesium and looking back I think that those years were actually better for me re depression and anx. Anyway, I stopped being a vegan and stopped taking calcium and mag and, actually, I think my mental health has been worse. So, I'm going to try this again.

thanks for posting.

I suffered my first big panic attack 3 years ago which resulted in me becoming agoraphobic. Six months later I started taking a daily magnesium supplement and I definitely think that it has had a calming effect on me. I would recommend it for anyone suffering anxiety.

Hi to all,
    I also had a bottle of magnesium sitting there as you will
    read on my previous post, and after reading on here I also got the courage
    up to take one ( going through awful time at minute) and yes it did help me
    I felt calmer but I took magnesium citrate and with in 2 hours i had to run to the
    toilet with the runs apparently this is quite normal, the tablets were 200mg ones
    but later on that night I was extremely anxious again, so I now have the stupid
    thought in my head that it was the magnesium and dare not take any more
    so angry with myself because at the moment I seem to be scared of taking anything
    Was thinking is it possible if a persons not deficient in it would it cause problems
    Does anyone know if this is the case
    Manda

Hi, I was prescribed magnesium supplements actually for muscle tension ... supposedly relaxes your muscles. This was by a homeopathic doctor/accupuncturist. Well, I didn't take it for long because it made me dizzy so I can't say if it worked or not, but it is interesting and there must be something to it if everybody has relaxation responses with it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information