Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sexual Abuse

Re: Sexual Abuse

Hi A4000,

I have to say I can't agree with those who want to search for lost or repressed memories. If you don't fully remember now, that may be as far as it goes. If you keep searching in your mind, there is a possibility of a creating a false memory at some time in the future. False memories can seem just as real as any other memory. The psychologist Elizabeth Loftus has been researching this area for years - you might want to do a Google search on her work.

That said, the physical and emotional abuse from your father directed at both you and your mother that you clearly remember is quite a lot to come to terms with, and something you should have no hesitation in getting help with.

Take care

Hanshan
    Last edited by hanshan; 23-06-12 at 11:53.

Quote Originally Posted by millie1954 View Post
    hi

i was sexually abused by my father when i was 11-12. I've carried the burden of guilt with me ever since, its affected me greatly in my relationships and emotionally making me very insecure and lacking self esteem. all through my puberty i kept it hidden and didnt tell anyone. It was not until I was 23 that I confided in my sister and my mother (who did nt believe me and thought I'd encouraged my father) I've suffered depression and anxiety for some time and am hoping CBT will help me but im very afraid and cynical.

---------- Post added at 00:44 ---------- Previous post was at 00:39 ----------

I read your quote and drew some strength from it, I feel exactly the same way, i wish sometimes that id kept it to myself and ask myself why, because I dont feel normal anymore.
    ugh that's sick, but don't give up hun, don't give up guys <3

Hi Cassy.

I understand that. I couldn't even open my mouth about it, at the end of the day he will take it to his grave. He will feel guilty forever, and he knows I will never forgive or forget. I would like to discuss this further as there are other things I would like to add but it's a bit of a worry for me to do so. I would have made a post like this myself before but never had the courage...so thank you a4000, how are you doing now? Please keep us posted on your journey xxx

Thank you for all of your replies

I'm still waiting for some different Psychotherapy as the CBT went belly up. The Sertraline is slowly kicking in and I'm feeling a bit more calm and able to let life's little niggles go.

Reading other peoples awful stories of what has happened to them has really put things in perspective, I just hope some day we can all find some way of letting go and get on with things.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information