Thread: Panic attack? something else? Scared :/

Panic attack? something else? Scared :/

This is gonna be quite long, sorry! I deeply appreciate any advise. I felt absolutely fine yesterday, no problem whatsoever. I drank alcohol last night. I woke up in a friends house (there was a lot of smoke in the air, they smoke tobacco and cannabis, I don't smoke cannabis anymore though, because i got to a point where i was convinced that i was becoming psychotic because of the stupid drug, but i've been a lot less exposed to the passive smoke since i stopped, but i was quite exposed to it today, i've nearly been off it for 5 weeks) i didnt eat much at all about 5 hours after i woke up, i ate two sandwiches quite fast.. and i felt this horrible bloated feeling in my stomach.. and suddenly started checking my pulse every few minutes and thinking about my heart, and i felt a tiny bit sick. I then went for a car ride to pick up my other friend from school, i was sitting in the back seat, and then after she put petrol in, the car was saying that she hadn't put any in and that the car was really low on fuel.. I asked her "has this ever happened before" and she said "no, never." So then i started panicking in my head, thinking to myself "oh god, what if the car is going to blow up or something." My left arm had pins and needles in it after that, and there was a slight numb feeling in my arm.. So i was checking my pulse loads and loads because i know one of the symptoms of a heart attack is weakness or a numb feeling in the left arm. I tried so hard to ignore it, and i did for about an hour, i then walked to the shop with one of my friends.. and that's when everything got out of control. Half way towards the shop, i moved my head side to side and i suddenly had slight head rush and a sick feeling, my stomach was burning because i was nervous and scared and then my heart was pounding, and i felt it through my chest, and i was absolutely terrified at that point and there were an unbelievable amount of negative and anxious thoughts going through my head, i said to my friend "have you got your phone" and i was thinking "because i need you to phone an ambulance." I didn't say what i was thinking because there was this very very slight thought in my head telling me that i was just having an anxiety attack, but it just couldn't compare to the panic. She was telling me over and over that i was having a panic attack, but i was totally unconvinced. Then i sat down on a wall for a minute, and did the whole breathing in and out thing, and someone went into the shop for me and got me some water.. after that, my heart slowed down. my friend walked me slowly back to the house and after that i felt tired and drowsy.. I went home, went upstairs, my stomach was acting up a bit.. so i went to go to sleep.. but then i kept jolting awake, which scared me.. so i decided to stay awake, and here i am now.. i just feel really tired and slightly anxious now, and as if i've just walked miles, but i've calmed down a bit.

So my question is.. am i okay?? was this just one of those anxious days for me? One of those random sudden panic attacks??

I had my heart rate checked a few months ago.. and they said everything was normal.. but i still get frightened about it.

sorry for the essay, i'm so embarressed right now.. i just needed some advise.
    (the car part, i was just explaining more about my anxiety, it's not just health, but it's health anxiety more than anything)

Re: Panic attack? something else? Scared :/

Hi there, it sounds like you have had a horrible day.

Whilst there is no way I can tell you what was going on, I CAN tell you that I have experienced every single thing in your post while anxious/panicing. It just sounds like one of my particually bad days.

Try really hard to do some normal things, sit with your breath and also sit with your anxiety and try for now to accept it.

I think so many of us spend so much time trying to distract ourdelves or squash down the anxiety in order to 'feel better'.

It is actually far more beneficial to accept' This is the way I feel right now, I am anxious, this is what i am experiencing'. Then just sit and let it flow. I find it is a really scary idea but when you actually do it it is incredibly effective.

Good luck, I hope tomorrow is a better day

It sounds like a huge panic attack, though if it happens frequently I would see your doctor. As Groundhog says the best method is not to try to fight off the panic, but to let it wash over you, try to float through it.

Stay off the cannabis too, it's really bad for your mental health. I hope you feel better soon.

Hi , I can relate so much to what u wrote in ur post .. I too seem to be checking my pulse constantly at the moment and i get pains in my left arm and feel like i am having a heart attack or my heart is going to stop .. I convinced myself i could smell gas the other day in my house and that i would not wake up !
    I have had several ECG recently and they have all been normal however i am still convinced that there is something wrong so i am waiting for a 24 hour ECG .
    I would like to be able to get to the point where i can get a feeling /pain/sensation and it not send me into utter panic xx

that's how am feeling now (only i don't check my pulse) i have been feeling so anxious since 5pm now past midnight) and dont no why ?? i do get bad acid reflux though and that makes my anxiety worse as makes me feel so sickly and am emetophobic :(

Thread Information