Thread: Fluoxetine - a right sweaty mess

Fluoxetine - a right sweaty mess

Hi all, this is my first proper post so bare with me. I've been on Fluoxetine now for a week, having been prescribed it for Anxiety and feeling Panicky.

I'm currently laid in bed writing this and at the moment I'm just wringing the sweat of my hands and feet!! Having read about four or five excellent posts about Fluoxetine and its side effects and finding them really reassuring (and a bit worrying as well, if I'm being honest) I thought I'd share a bit of myself (uurrrghh) with you excellent people.

I've had what I would say was mild Anxiety and Depression all my life, never enough to stop me doing anything but still not pleasant. So after a bout of horrible moods swings and raised anxiety levels (to the point of feeling panicky) I decided to go to the quacks. He was a very nice chap and give me all sorts of options like C.B.T. but I chose to take the Fluoxetine because I'm a lazy man and thought this would be the 'path of least resistance'. I go back to see him next Friday and I think I may beat him to death (joke).

The side effects really seem to have kicked in, Friday (5th day on the pills) I got to work and felt so agitated, nervous and panicky and just went home. Was alright yesterday, apart from one moment when I had a hot flush, but today I feel horrendous. Been to church today with the fiancee, and It was the worst hour of my life (I'm an exaggerator), was sweaty, nervous, agitated, felt panicky, sick and dizzy all the way through. But you know what, nothing bad happened!!! It wasn't pleasant, but I'm not dead and nobody noticed (so what if they had!!).

So after coming home still feeling a bit dodgy I decided to Google the side effects of Fluoxetine, after reading a pretty horrifying list on the NHS website, which read like an early script of 'Jacob's Ladder', I spotted this lovely website, read some posts and felt much better! I was particularly intrigued by an explanation about the effects of adrenalin and how my symptoms matched with it perfectly. So I think I'm going to get myself out of bed and burn some nervous energy off (maybe).

Anyway I don't feel like I'm going through this alone now, which is a result.

We are in this together, high five's all round!!!

Re: Fluoxetine - a right sweaty mess

I get the night sweats a bit too. But, mostly it's been terrible anxiety that's been the problem. My heart is actually racing as I type. I'm a 1st time Prozac user - never been depressed before this last year, but have now been a complete mess for long enough that I've bowed to pressure and started taking medication.

Interesting that you were offered CBT by your doctor. I wasn't really given options like that, but wish that I had been. I live in Edinburgh and it doesn't seem like there's much options about for CBT (unless you can pay £60 a session - and I don't know why anyone would be depressed if they could afford that!).

From everything I read here and on other places the best idea is to stick it out with the Fluoxetine. That's my plan anyway.

Thread Information