Thread: Opinions please!!

Opinions please!!

Im about to start taking Citalopram 20mg (again!).

Although I have taken it in the past with the only side effects being a slight worsening after about 2 weeks and tiredness - is there a possibility that I will experience any others this time round? Or should I be convinced my body can tolerate it with only the above again?

Might sound a silly question but I have a tablet phobia and cant help reading the side effects!

Also - I know your body is getting used to the tablets but why do we get worse before getting better? It scares me just to think about it.

Thank you

Julie x

Hi Julie, I've just gone back on citalopram. i was on it 4 years ago and started back two weeks ago. The first two weeks were grot, but i did have some good days too. i started on 10mg for 10 days then went up to 20mg. I am now feeling much better, get tired in the evenings but not as bad. No tummy or dry throat now either. i didn't experience anything different this time. I know it is scary but hang on in there.

Take care
    Daisybun

'This too will pass'

Peru83 is offline Intermediate Member
    Hi JulieG,

No question is a silly question, I'm sure you will be fine. When I was on citalopram I was lucky and only had the tiredness. I'm sure things will be just the same this time round.

As for the getting worse before it gets better, I think thats how it works with most healing processes's. It's nothing unusual or to be feared. You will be fine.

Be sure and post back and let us know how your getting on.

Take Carexx

Claire

onwards and upwards

As everyone else said. These things take time. Let your body adjust. Anxiety and panic are extremely exhausting. its just your body saying...jesus give me a break!!!

Hang on in there, it will get better

Yake care

Hay x

Hi julie!
    If i was you i would start on a lower dose of 10mg.This way the sideaffects if any will be less.I started on 10mg then moved to 15 then 20mg.Good luckxx

Thanks for replying.

Do you really think 10 would be better? or should I just jump right in with the 20 and get it over with?!!? its something ive never thought of before. does it not prolong the inevitable 'worse before better' (WBB)?

My days begin like sh** in the mornings then tend to get better later in the day, so my decision about taking the tablets is up in the air depending on the time of day.

My appointment to get the prescription was a 'panic appointment' this morning when I was having a v v bad morning. Maybe I can improve without them (which I would prefer) it would make me feel I had some control. Any thoughts?

I really appreciate your comments.

Sorry to sound totally random - but isnt it funny how we can talk to other people in a sensible, logical and calm way - but cant do it to ourselves?!?!?!?

Thank you again.

Heres to a good day tomorrow

Julie x

Hi Julie, no don't jump straight into 20mg start at 10mg and work your way up, this will give your body time to get used to it gradually, you will then possibly have less side effects. I started on 5mg the first week, 10mg 2nd wk, and am going to take 15mg starting next week, then gradually 20mg. But at the end of the day the decision is yours.

Good luck,

Polly

Thread Information