Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alone, need desperately help

Unhappy Alone, need desperately help

Hi
    I'm a 28 years old girl, came to the UK in October last year to start my PhD in Materials Chemistry. At the beginning it was brilliant, then I started to feel I wasn't doing enough progress, that I was not understanding the topic and I began to experience a very ugly spiral of lack of confidence, extreme anxiety depression. I'm not doing ok, I feel like my brain is not working, I feel stupid, I'm slow, extremely stressed almost always.
    I have become very antisocial, because I feel I don't fit in my group, I feel like I'm the only stupid, everyone seems so smart.
    No one here knows about my situation, I feel completely alone.

I started to see the councelor at the college but she hasn't been very helpful. I'm doing skype with my therapist back home and she recommended taking fluoxetine. I'm on day four but it is destroying my stomach, the side effects started right away. I don't know if I will be able to keep with this.

I feel hopeless, I'm so afraid of never being the same smiling and happy girl I used to be... and the PhD is so overwhelming.

Anyone knows this situation?? Please help, I'm really feeling miserable

Hi elili

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Alone, need desperately help

Hi there, and welcome

Firstly I would say any medication of the type you are taking (antidepressant) can take 2-4 weeks to start working. Sometimes a bit longer than that.

Secondly, if you are suffering with your stomach after taking Fluoxetine, I would go back to your doctor who should be able to prescribe something to alleviate this. For what its worth, I know someone who had stomach dyspepsia (indigestion) through taking the same medication.

Keep talking to your therapist as well, and maybe you can get some more local help through the doctor. Most have access to counselling services, but more than likely you will need to ask for this. If you are not feeling confident with this, you could take a trusted friend along with you for moral support.

I hope things work out.

Purplesky
    Thank you very much for your tips. I really want to get better and be the normal friendly and smiling girl I used to be. Unfortunately I don't know if I can do that AND the PhD. At this point I think my mental health is way more important though.

Hey Elli

It sounds like your troubles began, perhaps, when you first started to doubt your own abilities. You were flying high before that! As you've written, it was a huge spiral after that big knock to your confidence, and things have spiralled since then.

I'm so sorry to hear that, but I read nothing whatsoever in your post that sounds like it's an actual dip in intellectual ability. And how could it be?

You've had a normal (although very unpleasant) spiral of your anxiety and self-doubt, which has led to you isolating yourself, and feeling worse as a result. I think that's all completely understandable, and it's easy to say 'start trying to be more social, stop hiding away from things, and get your life back on track' but is actually very hard to do, so I really feel for you

That is, though, ideally what you need to do, step-by-step, to feel better about yourself. If you can't right now (also completely understandable!) then continue talking to your therapists and work this out - you can! I know a number of doctors/Phd students and one thing I can say for absolute certain is that there is no way in the world they would have accepted you in the first place if you were not good enough because they are judged by the quality of the candidates they accept, and the number who are successful!!

You are absolutely good enough, but I know it doesn't feel like that right now. How to help? I hope I can. I'll check back in on this thread when I can.

Keep your chin up please, you can ABSOLUTELY do this with the right support - I am 100% about that!!

---------- Post added at 21:48 ---------- Previous post was at 21:47 ----------

Hi Elili,

I kind of understand a little of your situation as I studied for 2 degrees whilst battling anxiety and I know how tough it can be, but you can get through this. You'll get lots of help from this site, don't be afraid to ask.

Paul

Hi guys
    Thank you so much for your support. I'm feeling so much better now! the week has been so good so far! I'm on day 7 of fluoxetine, still having some side effects, but my mood is so much better!!

Now i just have to learn to relax, I'm still feeling anxiety all time :s
    Anyone has suggestions... the breathing thing works too weakly

I really appreciate all your good wishes, hope you are doing ok too

Hi Elili,

I can relate to the school issue, although only at the Master degree level :-) I was so excited about my programme in the first semester, but this semester my interest has waned and now I have all these projects to do that I don't feel passionate about. Plus, I have had a return of (at times) crippling anxiety, made worse by the fact that I feel that I am behind with all this school work that I don't really care about!!!
    And then there are all the thoughts, like you said, about not being good enough and also of not feeling like you fit in with the rest of the group (although I am lucky and made one great friend in our group). I also stress about what to do (drop out or finish), which adds to all the anxiety!!
    But I'm glad to hear you are feeling better :-) Let me know what you come up with for relaxing, cause I could surely use some tipps!!!
    Best,
    April

Hiya sweetheart..... firstly ((((hugs)))), also if your stomach is sore from the meds, ask your GP for Omaprazole - it is a stomach lining medication that can help you! Good luck and well done for sticking with your PHD..... you are not stupid at all, you are going through a rough patch due to a lot of stress, but we are all here behind you x

Hi guys
    Thank you so much for your posts. Kateykat thanks for your hugs. I really wish someone give me a real hug :(
    I'm on day 12 fluoxetine and yesterday was quite terrible. I went to british museum with a friend but we waited too much to eat. I was really starving when we decided to look for something. I don't know if it was because of this or food poisoning but right after finishing I starte to feel dizzy my hands wet, nausea sensations :s
    It went away after dinner but I'm feeling it again now. I don't know if it is too much acidity in my stomach or that truely something was wrong with the food I ate yesterday (it was smoked salmon pancake...) although it doesn't seem like my stomach is doing so bad... I think is something related to prozac. :(
    I just want to feel good :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information