Thread: citalopram and sexual dysfunction

Unhappy citalopram and sexual dysfunction

i've been taking citalopram 20mg for 3 days now and even in that short space of time i have noticed inability to achieve orgasm, which is very frustrating as i'm quite regularly sexually active. just wondering if there is an alternative antidepressant that does not have this side effect? or does this go away after a while? i'm just worried because i read that sexual dysfunction from SSRIs can be permanent!

Re: citalopram and sexual dysfunction

Hi Hannah
    Before i was on Citalopram,i was in the on Seroxat in the dim and distant past that played havoc worth my sex drive and it cartainly did not work for me,Citalopram seems to have very little interference with sex drive in my case,although it does have some mild effects, niothing like seroxat though.

Might be worth you taking a trip back to the docs though.

I know i am not a girl but the dysfuction can and and does happen with both sexes.
    Last edited by Richard1960; 07-07-12 at 15:31.

thanks richard! 5 days later and i've still seen no improvements, so i think i will definitely give my doctor a call, it's more frustrating than anything, and definitely something i did not expect!

Hanna,

im on day 5 on citalopram and I have notice reduced drive, bot not any dysfunction (though im a man so may be different). I think though there is a wide range of side effects from all sssr's and they need to settle down in the short term or so the experienced takers say

I have been on citalopram for over a year now and I do experience a higher sex drive maybe because im less stressed these days but I do still have the orgasm problems, it takes a lot longer and not as strong when I do get there, quite frustrating but better than being a nervous panicing mess I was before the citalopram. sorry its not the news you wanted xx

heyy... firstly citalopram will have side affects hun... and after just 3 days its normal. my side effects where the my nipples leaked lol. side effects will wear of as early as a week for some people. and as your only on 20mg it shouldnt take too long for your body to get used to it.

i started citalopram a year ago on 20mg and am now on 60 mg not that its helped much tbh

Iv had this with every anti depressant iv been on :-( I'm citalopram at the moment. 30 mg and I cannot orgasm unless I do it myself grrr. Very frustrating as I'm married so have regular sex xx

Hope you have got something sorted now Hannah,but i do have to add as a bloke seroxat was a lot worse in that department for me,there was certainly a malfunction in that lots of work but nothing but neing worn out .! long berfore any finishing off,which did not happen.

To that point the Citalopram is a lot better for me in that department,sure it has slowed down the drive but at least i still feel like it. Richard. xx

Thread Information