Thread: Palpitations & skipped beats/thuds?

Palpitations & skipped beats/thuds?

I've had palpitations now and again for a while now as I've suffered from anxiety. The anxiety has greatly improved now luckily but I still get the palp's now and again and I also get skipped beats/thuds in the chest where it feels like your heart has skipped a beat not sure what the proper name is.. I've had ECG's and they're normal, I've been to the doctor's a few times but they sort of roll eyes and say I'm young (24) and fine.. I want a 24 hour ECG/7 day ECG I think this would give me the reassurance to finally move on from this heart thing. Anyone the same? Sorry for essay x

Re: Palpitations & skipped beats/thuds?

When I'm really nervous I have severe palpitations. It's scary. The more I think about them, the worst they are. If we are relaxed and we forget about the palpitations they go away. That's what I did anyways You're fine!

Have a nice day.

Hi xtinkerbellx, I suffer from palps, chest flutters and skipped beats and was given a 24hr trace and an echocardiogram. They both came back showing no problems with my heart, but the trace did show 'eptopics' (I think thats the right name) which were the flutters and also a few skipped beats. The doctor said was they are common and as annoying as they are, they are not going to hurt me.

It is reassuring to have proper investigations into our health worries but it doesn't always take away ALL the fear afterwards, as I still worry when they happen... but I do try and tell myself they are due to anxiety and my heart is fine.

If you really think it would help but your doctor won't budge, you could always pay to have it done privately maybe?

Ectopics are very common and easily identified on an ecg apparently. If you look at the All Experts Cardiology forum, the docs on there say not to worry if you have had the tests.

Thread Information