Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cbt wont help while on antid's ???

Re: Cbt wont help while on antid's ???

In CBT4PANIC, it states that it is best if you try CBT before you try meds and see if that works best because you are trying to prove to yourself that the panic can do you no harm. If you do the treatment on meds, you may be unsure whether your recovery is due to the meds or the CBT, so you may lose confidence when you come off them (this must be what that woman meant). However, if you are in a really bad state you might want to take the meds to help you "engage" with the CBT. Thats what it says in there anyway, not word for word. I'm sure Mr Hall will pitch in with his own thoughts sooner or later.

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Haha I was googling and found a page on NMP ....

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17149

No 9 I think it is

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Well put, PanchoGoz. I'm in agreement.

Treatment must take into account the circumstances of the anxiety sufferer. Often, we struggle on, so by the time treatment is sought or referral to therapy is successful, anxiety sufferers are at crisis point and often on medication.

I have resisted medication up to now. I am doing the CBT4Panic course while I wait for a CBT referral to come through. I have been going out and staying with my fear up until last week. I am exercising daily to boost my mood and maintain good physical health.

However, I have come to the realisation this week that I may also need short term medication as carrying such high levels of anxiety daily over a prolonged period is draining me emotionally & physically. Anxiety is causing me sleepless nights leaving me with little ability to function this week, let alone tackle my anxiety head on.

Just read your post Nicola. These findings are useful to know, but leave me confused about what to do next as CBT is something that I believe has helped me recently and will help me in the future. I'm again feeling unsure about taking medication as this may jeopardise my CBT work.

But if anxiety drains me of the resources rendering me unable to undertake CBT methods in which I go out and stay with the fear, that leaves me sitting at home pondering what to do for the best when all I really want to do is live again.

There are so many questions and no simple answers.

Hi Serenitie
    It sounds like you are having some success using CBT4PANIC - well done :-)

Because of that I'm wondering if you think you might be able to persevere with CBT alone for a while longer.

It is still very early days to see the benefits of the CBT but you are already actually going out and working with the fear and you even feel up to doing exercise.

Perhaps you were thinking about Medication before you tried CBT and it is still an option in your mind.

Ultimately there is no 'wrong' decision here otherwise people already on medication couldn't get effective help with CBT which is just not true. So if you feel that you really can't cope otherwise then do what you feel is right for you and don't add more worry on top of your worry. But make sure you work closely with your GP and tell him your concerns and that a part of you would like to try the CBT first.

You are right there is no simple answer - it is a very individual thing. You are the expert in how you are feeling and how much you feel capable of dealing with.

Have a think about whether you could wait until your CBT referral comes through at least.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help
    Robin
    Last edited by robinhall; 02-08-12 at 21:03. Reason: correcting spelling

CBT4Panic is now completely FREE and anyone can access the full programme here http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you all so much for all your replies. Ii dont have the energy to complain right now my focus is getting settled on meds and trying to feel better for now. When my name comes to the top of the list again hopefully I will have more energy and be stronger and can fight for what I want.
    thank you all again.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenitie View Post
    Well put, PanchoGoz. I'm in agreement.

Treatment must take into account the circumstances of the anxiety sufferer. Often, we struggle on, so by the time treatment is sought or referral to therapy is successful, anxiety sufferers are at crisis point and often on medication.

I have resisted medication up to now. I am doing the CBT4Panic course while I wait for a CBT referral to come through. I have been going out and staying with my fear up until last week. I am exercising daily to boost my mood and maintain good physical health.

However, I have come to the realisation this week that I may also need short term medication as carrying such high levels of anxiety daily over a prolonged period is draining me emotionally & physically. Anxiety is causing me sleepless nights leaving me with little ability to function this week, let alone tackle my anxiety head on.

Just read your post Nicola. These findings are useful to know, but leave me confused about what to do next as CBT is something that I believe has helped me recently and will help me in the future. I'm again feeling unsure about taking medication as this may jeopardise my CBT work.

But if anxiety drains me of the resources rendering me unable to undertake CBT methods in which I go out and stay with the fear, that leaves me sitting at home pondering what to do for the best when all I really want to do is live again.

There are so many questions and no simple answers.
    I think it is an individual thing, medication - or no medication? when having CBT. I had CBT 3 years ago and at that time I was taking Citalopram, it was a God send to me at the time and I was able to put into practice all I had learned and move on with my life.

BobbyDog

Firstly, apologies for hijacking your thread, Laura. This was not my intention We are experiencing many similar things right now in terms of our treatment choices and I originally posted to support you. In the process I discovered information that impacted on the decisions I'm in the process of making. I hope that you get your CBT appointment very soon.

Robin, thank you for your feedback. I found it very helpful. I really appreciate what you're saying about holding off medication. I remain undecided about my course of action right now, but think if my sleep deprivation continues as a result of carrying so much anxiety for so long it would be counter productive to resist medication. I am unable to function in my current state, let alone practice the principles of CBT. I'm considering holding off for another week.

In all honesty, my GP is not a great support. Without going into too much detail, I discussed an abusive relationship with a family member which I withdrew from last year as it had been a huge source of anxiety and distress for 9 years. She advised me to resume my relationship with this person and visit them with someone who could prevent me from experiencing any further physical harm. She totally failed to acknowledge this relationship as a huge source of anxiety. I told her that I should not be expected to endure an abusive relationship to keep my family unit cohesive. I have very little faith in her since this discussion.

I was a social worker for many years so have decided to do a care plan for myself as I did for many others. I have listed areas that I need to address as part of my recovery including treatment options, physical health, social interaction and support and finances. This is helping a little already but my energy is severely depleted at the moment enough to prevent any progress this week.

BobbyDog Thank you for your positive feedback. You are right, as is Robin. There are no rights or wrongs. Treatment is a very individual thing. I think that the fact that I recognise that I need to be an active participant in my recovery means that I will work hard at CBT and will not rely on medication (should I decide to take it) to magic away my anxiety.

Thank you so much for your responses everyone

Sorry to hear that it sounds like one persons opinion rather than a rule. You could try again but if you cant do thursday and thats the only day they can offer, then it may not be worth the stress. By the way i have medication and cbt.
    best of luck xx

here is my pennies worth for what its, erm...., worth

i am not supporting the therapist, but i wonder if she was thinking 'here is another safety behaviour we need to overcome', as ultimately i guess most people seek a medication route to try and 'cease' or reduce anxiety and panic, when CBT is most probably aimed at folk fully accepting that anxiety and panic are not harmful at all so there is no need to try and stop it/ease it/control it/etc. with meds or anything else?

either way, meds can be helpful while the wait for therapy happens and you aint fully explored the 'accepting' route

thetube82

hi, i am also awaiting cbt. iv had my initial phone assessment, told them i am on citalopram and it didnt seem to make any difference. it seems very insensitive of them that they couldnt just remake your appt rather than putting you back on waiting list. stay strong i hope the therapy will help xxx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information