Thread: Heart problems? I'm only 16.

Heart problems? I'm only 16.

Hello guys, sort of glad I stumbled upon this forum! I am only 16 years old but live in constant fear.

For the past few years I have had absolutely horrible hypochondria. Here is a list, in order, of the issues I have panicked about - which have ruined my life.

- Parasites: first, I had a terrible fear I had worms inside of me.
    - Bladder cancer: I had an absolutely terrible fear I had bladder cancer.
    - Kidney failure: I was worried for weeks that I was suffering from some sort of severe kidney infection, which would ultimately lead to kidney failure.
    - (Currently) Heart attack: For the past week, I've had my life ruined by what I'm hoping is anxiety, but my mind is telling me it's real.

The problem with my health anxiety when compared to others', is that I have an even worse fear of doctors than my fear of diseases. I haven't been to a doctor in a couple of years, and don't plan on it any time soon. I guess my ultimate fear is being told that I only have a limited amount of time to live, or that I have diabetes, cancer, or heart disease.

The last week or so, I've had this shortness of breath where I need to yawn literally every couple of seconds. I've also had these pains on my chest between where my armpit meets my chest on the left side. I get these shooting pains in my left pec, and my arm everywhere. My forearm, bicep, tricep have all been affected. Now, I get these sort of pains everywhere which I believe is due to my sedentary lifestyle. I am very slightly overweight, by 15 pounds or so. Yesterday, I had a really strong shooting pain from my shoulder down about half way to my elbow on the outside of my arm. I immediately thought it was a heart attack and chewed an Aspirin. I was going to wait the 3 recommended minutes and then call 911. I'm just so tired of my life being plagued by these thoughts, and the fact that every time I feared something in the past makes me somewhat reassured that this 'heart problem,' is just in my head.

My family also has no (that I know of) history of heart problems, which is good I guess.

If any of you have similar symptoms or reassuring info, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Re: Heart problems? I'm only 16.

I've also had health anxiety over my heart, although I must say I am nowhere as bad as I used to be.

You would definitely know if you had heart problems as they rarely go undetected and are supposedly extremely painful. Shortness of breath, chest pains and arm pains are all down to anxiety. I experience all of these myself with several other symptoms. Anxiety gives you all sorts of strange experiences!

You really should see a doc, I assure you they will do nothing but put your mind at rest. I've travelled up to A&E twice in my life over thinking I've had heart attack or something, with my heart rate reaching over 150bps, chest pains and feeling like I'm going to faint due to being short of breath, palpitations also. Both times they done an ECG and blood test and said I'm fine and that it is down to anxiety. I've also had a echocardiogram which my doctor booked my in for just to put my mind at rest (this is an ultrasound of the heart) which also came back fine. I recognise my own problems in you so well, so I can really relate, especially as I started experiencing my anxiety at your age, and a year on I'm still the same but anxious over different stuff!

I do not think you will combat this until you face a doctor. They would also refer you to counselling and any medical tests necessary to keep your mind at rest, and as a last resort give you medication (I was given diazepam coming down from a panic attack and citalopram, an anti-depressant, a few months after while I was waiting for counselling)

If you really can't wait, take a trip up the emergency room and tell them your symptoms e.g chest pains, racing heart etc. They will almost see you straight away and put you on a heart monitor and do an ECG, and then do a blood test. You will be there two or three hours though but it's worth it to keep your mind at rest. But I still recommend booking an appointment with your doctor

The fact your parents have never had any heart problems is great too. And I'm sure being overweight by just 15 pounds is no problem or strain on your body.

Feel free the PM me at any time if you need more advice or just want to talk

Thread Information