Thread: Restlessness/agitation on SSRIs?

Restlessness/agitation on SSRIs?

Hello,

Around a year ago I started feeling very restless on fluoxetine (20mg) which was the main reason why I decided to come off it. I then had a return to anxiety/'pure o' symptoms. After trying both citalopram and clomipramine (the former made me hyper, the latter made me sick) I decided to go back on to fluoxetine. I've now taken it for 8 weeks and it has made a difference to my anxiety/'pure o' - but I feel constantly restless, find it difficult to concentrate on one thing, and feel the need to twitch/stretch my muscles every few seconds.

I'm a bit reluctant to ask for another SSRI because (a) The fluoxetine has helped, and (b) I have the feeling that I'll experience a similar type reaction. I didn't used to have this level of agitation on fluoxetine, and didn't experience any side effects when I first started taking it, so I'm wondering why I'm reacting differently to it now...I have a feeling it may be something to do with dopamine levels but I'm not too sure.

Any suggestions? Would augmenting it with another medication be a possibility (though I'd prefer to avoid feeling like a zombie if possible!)

Thanks!

Re: Restlessness/agitation on SSRIs?

Hey there.

I was on Prozac for 9 weeks back in Feb this year and stopped for the same reasons. I was hyper, agitated and having random muscle/limb twitches and tensing up my limbs and feeling the need to stretch constantly. I've been off it since early May and am still suffering some of these symptoms on and off!!!! It's actually started up my anxiety again because ive convinced myself its brought out a major neurological disorder in me! And the drs just shrug at it!
    They really need to improve these drugs and create hope for sufferers like us.

Kel

Thread Information