Thread: First time on Prozac need help

First time on Prozac need help

Hey all

My gp prescribed me with Fluoxetine tablets 20mg for my panic attacks. I didn't want to use mess as a last resort but the CBT and hypnotherapy did not seem to have a strong effect.

I have them with me now and I need to take them once a day for two weeks first. However can anybody tell me any side effects that I may get. Il ow it says a list on the small info sheet that came with the tablets but I need to hear from someone who's actually taken them.

Could anyone help me on this please as I feel a little nervous. When do I take them, what common side effects happen and can I drive during the dosage.

Thanks to all who reply....in desperate need

Re: First time on Prozac need help

I would say that there is no problem with driving on them at 20mg unless you think that they are making you drowsy. Side effects on AD's are very personal. I took fluoxetine for 4 weeks and was ill on it as I have been on other ssri's. I had a bad stomach, bowels, dry retching, more anxiety etc but the older trycyclic drugs seem to help me better. I know people on here who have taken fluox with no side effects or they have said that after the first few weeks something changed and they were much better. You can only try and take on day at a time and remember if yu feel bad, just speak to the doc or post on here as there is loads of help on here and whatever you are going through, someone will have gone through it before. I am in the early stages of a new tablet and I always feel more anxious but I thibk part of it is becasue I am frightened of what they will do to me and I am watching every symptom! Wrong I know but I can't help it. Good luck and I hope it works for you, if not then don't be put off, there are plenty others to try.

I've been taking Prozac for at least 10 years on account of my OCD.

The biggest thing I noticed was the stream-of-consciousness-chatter I have in my head all the time stopped.

For maybe the first year I had drowsiness after I took my dose and/or having to rush to the bathroom. This became less and less frequent the longer I stayed on the meds.

You've read about the anorgasmia. Its a fact. I have it for about 4 hours after I take my dose.

Other than that, my only complaint is every once in a while it gives me heartburn.

Overall though, its been a very positive change for me.

I took them for one month in Dec 2011. They were great for reducing my symptoms. Initial side effects: Zero appetite for a couple of weeks, hangover after 3 beers. Continuous side effects: Pale skin, stomach pain (I think it's really acidic, as I got a capsule lodged in my throat and started burning like hell, so always swallow with water lol). There were no sexual side effects for me. All the best

Thread Information