Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: citalopram making me worse?

citalopram making me worse?

hi, new 2 this -i would really appreciate sum advice off fellow sufferers of this awful cond.i started anxiety attacks /panic 2 half months ago.really cant cope with the dread of what im gonna feel like next day.prob is i was prescribed citalopram nearly 5 weeks ago and i just feel that im getting worse instead of better i know im getting more anxious thinking that the tabs are never gonna work,sorry to go on but is there really any light ahead on these tabs? also new symptom yesterday vomiting.....felt like it before but never wassick...cant eat cant sleep.just need someone 2 talk to who is on these tabs and how long i shud wait bfore trin somethin else
    thanks in advance b very grateful...by the way doc jumped me up from 10mg to 40mg all in 4 weeks!!!

Hi Ju and welcome to the site, citalopram isnt realy a antidepressant which is used mostly in panic and anxiety this med just slows down the heart rate and does calm some people down, but my daughter where prescribed these for anxiety and the same happened to her, they just made her feel worst, diferent people react different to different meds or treatments. Best thing to do is tell your doctor they are not working for you and then decide between you and him what to do next. Antidepressants do help some people and they make other people worst, but even if you do go onto a antidepresant most feel worst for a couple of weeks then slowly start feeling better, Antidepressant can also take upto 6 weeks to start working. Take care hope you find some comfort and help here on this site. Vernon

thanks vernon just cant cope with the skin on fire feeling and the sickness

Hi Ju

Welcome aboard.

There are quite a few members on here using Citalopram and it is quite common for anxiety and panic sufferers. Take a look at this page on the website ...

Medication

A lot of people say that it makes them feel worse before they get better and I am surprised he upped the dose so quickly.

You have to decide whether to stick at it or ask to change to something else I think.

Nicola

Hi Ju,

Firstly welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

I am afraid I have to disagree with Vern, citalopram it widely used to treat anxiety and panic attacks, I have been on them for 7 years to help with mine, and the leaflet does state that they are an anti-depressant but also used to help treat the effects of panic attacks, stick with them, the side effects will subside and you will begin to feel the benefits of them soon.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Sorry you are right Tracy, I was thinking of the med sometimes used called Propranolol, which is a beater blocker

Hi Ju,

And welcome,

I have to agree with Trace, i have been taking Citalopram for around 8 years and they have helped me alot.
    I do think your doctor was a bit harsh jumping your dosage so quickly to 40mg in four weeks! I started on 10mg for a round 4 weeks and did suffer hightened anxiety and dizziness, then i was put on 20mg for 8 weeks, then 40mg thereafter.

Hope that helps

Love

Andrea
    xxx

thankyou all much support on here !!! can i ask did u all who take citalopram feel worse when dosage was upped do u think i should reduce or will it make symptoms worse again?dont know what to do

Hi Ju

From my own experiences i felt the worst of the symptoms when i first started the medication 10mg for around 4 weeks, once going onto 20 mg i did feel alot more tierd for the first week on 20mg but also started to feel better in myself e.g anxiety/panic very much less, i didnt realy have any side side affects at all once on 40mg.
    Im not sure if you should cut them down, maybe it would be a good idea to have a word with the doctor, the reason you may be having these side affects is because you have gone onto 40mg so quickly, maybe shortly you should be feeling better as you have gone through the side affects.

Hope that helps

Love

Andrea
    xxx

Love

Andrea
    xxx

Hi Juju, I am on citalopram have been for about 4 weeks now, like you I had the skin on fire feeling and still do sometimes but it does calm down I promise. I started on 5mg for the first week then 10mg the second week and on the 3rd and 4th week I am now taking 15mg as you can see I am upping it very slowly which then gives your body time to get used to it. Going from 10mg to 40mg in 4 weeks seems to much to me, go speak to your dr and perhaps cut back again and then increase the dose gradually.

Take care,

Polly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information